
Three weeks ago today I sat down on our bed to take a nap by myself for the first time in 36 weeks. And by myself—I mean without babies in my belly. It was so quiet in the bedroom. My mom was watching the twins downstairs, and Dan had taken Gabby to the park. Instead of immediately falling asleep… as soon as my head hit the pillow I couldn’t help but start crying. I felt so incredibly lonely without those two babies in my belly.
It’s funny to think that I can pinpoint two of the loneliest times in my life to exactly 3 days after the birth of the twins and exactly 3 days after the birth of Gabriella. It sounds crazy—I know. And, it’s also crazy to think that before each child was born I was so incredibly uncomfortable and excited to get my body back that I could hardly wait for labor to begin.
Once again, I find this to be just the start of letting go and letting the little ones grow. They’re doing a fine job of it. Sometimes – it’s not fast enough. Especially in sleep deprived moments… or when I have 3 kids crying at me simultaneously. And, sometimes it’s too fast… like when I see the twins starting to fit into newborn clothes and cheeks filling out, or when the two year old is playing dress-up and getting into my make-up.
Life sure is sweet, short and crazy, isn’t it?

It’s funny to think that I can pinpoint two of the loneliest times in my life to exactly 3 days after the birth of the twins and exactly 3 days after the birth of Gabriella. It sounds crazy—I know. And, it’s also crazy to think that before each child was born I was so incredibly uncomfortable and excited to get my body back that I could hardly wait for labor to begin.
Once again, I find this to be just the start of letting go and letting the little ones grow. They’re doing a fine job of it. Sometimes – it’s not fast enough. Especially in sleep deprived moments… or when I have 3 kids crying at me simultaneously. And, sometimes it’s too fast… like when I see the twins starting to fit into newborn clothes and cheeks filling out, or when the two year old is playing dress-up and getting into my make-up.
Life sure is sweet, short and crazy, isn’t it?



No comments:
Post a Comment