1/12/11

Giuliana's Surgery






This little cutie pattooty had surgery yesterday to get tubes in her ears.

Giuliana's last food/drink was at 12:30am, and then we checked in bright and early at 6:30am. She was the youngest patient of the day so she got the first surgery slot. The surgery went really with no complications. I loved the doctor and the surgery center was fantastic in that everything was so streamlined. It was incredibly efficient and we were in and out with no time wasted. We were out the door and on our way home by 8am. The perfect situation for mommies and their little ones!

Giuliana was a victim of chronic ear infections and fluid build-up in her middle ear. The fluid build-up was causing constant pain, ear infections and possibly a distortion of everything she was hearing. Sometimes, this can lead to hearing loss and speech delays in small children if left untreated.

Thankfully, the fluid drained from within her ear canal was not green and goopy. It was just clear. So, the meds last week helped clear up the bacteria/infection. But, it was just a matter of days before the bacteria would be back again to haunt us.

It took less than 25 minutes for them to drain the fluid out of her ears and put the tubes in. They used gas to sedate her and she didn't even need an IV. She was pretty upset when she woke up... probably feeling a little drunk. I was able to nurse her there, and then once I got her in the car she calmed down and fell asleep and took a nice long nap.

Chances are she thought it was one bummer of a dream!

We're SO hopeful that our little princess won't have to battle any more ear infections.

She already seems to be acting a bit different to me, and perhaps it's just wishful thinking/anticipation. But, I feel as if she can already hear us better and that she's trying to say more sounds... instead of just screaming and pointing (which she had gotten very used to doing!).

Thanks for all the well wishes, thoughts and prayers for Giuilana!!

1 comment:

Mandy Hitchcock said...

So glad everything went well, Jodi-- I know that's a relief. I hope this is the beginning of infection- and pain-free days for Giuliana!