Thanksgiving 2012 will go down in the Martino memory books as a turkey day, divided.
We started the week out with a trip to the ER for Rocco, who had a coup/asthma attack on Sunday night. It was so crazy, as I *might* have heard him cough twice that day. It was 11pm, I was brushing my teeth and I heard an odd coughing/hacking noise coming from down the hall and I thought it was Gabby having a cough attack, and being super dramatic about it (which is usually the case). So, I asked Dan if he could go check on Gabby since I was brushing my teeth. Then, I hear him yelling "Rocco, breathe!"... so I rushed over and realized we were dealing with a pretty serious case of croup/cough and told Dan to run down and get Rocco's inhaler. Rocco literally couldn't take a full breath, he couldn't talk, and was just coughing and gasping. It was all very scary to me and I was seconds from calling 911. We were able to get him breathe a bit closer to normal and Dan rushed him off to the ER. They gave him steroids, which helped him significantly. They arrived home around 1am, and Rocco then threw-up dinner (chili.... yum!) all over Dan and him and the downstairs bathroom floor. (Thankfully, it is a tile floor!). Clearly, the steroids didn't settle well in his tummy. Poor kid! Dan then stayed up until 3:30am, so he could have piece of mind that Rocco wouldn't have any more breathing troubles. Since Matteo died in his sleep... any occurrence like this rocks our world, and very quickly brings to surface all of the feelings and emotions and memories from the day Matteo died. And, I know nobody can relate, unless you too have experienced the loss of a child, but the emotions and feelings are so strong and present, they are palpable within our home.
Rocco was totally fine the next day, granted, he did have a little random cough. But, nothing I was overly concerned about. No fever, and his eating and energy levels were fine as well. Well, then Gabby started getting a little cough (so little and sporadic that I also wasn't concerned)... and she felt good enough to still go to school and gymnastics on Wednesday night.
This would be the first time since living in Washington that we would not host T.hanksgiving dinner at our home. Instead, we were invited to our friend's home to join their family. We were very excited about it and all of us were looking forward to it. Still, I decided to let them know we had two little people coughing, and showing mild cold symptoms. I am always very cautious about bringing my kids anywhere, if sick... and VERY appreciative of other parents who act the same way. Since Matteo's cause of death was mostly related to a virus he had picked up, I prefer to not spread germs whenever possible... and for people to not spread them to us. Some kids just don't have good immune systems.
Anyway, Thursday morning arrived (turkey day)... everyone was excited and getting ready to join our friends that afternoon. But, Gabby seemed to be coughing more and started looking horrible. I felt her forehead and knew right then and there that we couldn't bring her. Her temp was just under 100 degrees. She started sobbing, saying she wanted to still go but also saying she felt awful and sick. I felt SO bad for her. I tucked her under a blanket on the sofa, piled up some library books next to her, turned on a movie, and got her some juice and crackers.
Dan & I went for a 6 mile run together (our date, if your will!), showered, and Dan got Rocco and Giuliana ready to go while I finished up making the appetizer and dessert we were supposed to bring. We said goodbye to Dan, Rocco, Giuliana, and our au pair, Adriana... and as Gabby cried, I promised her I'd let her drink a F.resca (she's never drank soda before!), and have treats while watching whatever movie she wanted to watch.
So, Gabby, Marco and I stayed home. It was very quiet. Very uneventful... and definitely did not feel very much like a holiday. Spending a holiday divided... 3 at the party, 3 at home, was the pits.
BUT... there are so many things that are and could be worse. And, we have so much to be thankful for. So, it's best to focus on the positive, be thankful for what you do have, and keep that front of mind. Missing a turkey day dinner with friends and family is really not a big deal in the big scheme of life!
We brought Gabby to the doctor on Friday morning. She was diagnosed with strep for the 3rd time in 3 months. Jeesh! Then, Marco caught the cold virus, as did Giuliana... so we had 2 more sick little monkeys come Monday morning.
If I could, I'd wish flu/cold/virus season would just disappear!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment