10/14/07

23 weeks… When it Rains it Pours. Friday - October 12, 2007


People always say “When it rains it pours.” Well, after this week, I believe it. Week 23 will certainly be a memorable one. The week started out with major IT issues at work on Monday and Tuesday. Annoying, but whatever. Then, on Wednesday we decided to fire our nanny. Thursday was an emergency OB appointment (due to Wednesday's stress), and Friday Dan ended up having to cancel his 5-day business trip to Boston due to the events on Wednesday & Thursday. Oh – and we really did get pouring rain on Tuesday and Friday.

On Wednesday afternoon, I had constant contractions and the babies were moving like CRAZY – almost like they both ate a pound of sugar. I have never felt so much activity for such a long time. It was scary. Then, I could only sleep for 3 hours Wednesday night because my mind could not stop racing about everything gonig on and the fact that I was having contractions and might be hurting the babies. So there I was at 2:45am, camped out on the sofa watching TV, surfing the net and monitoring contractions… heart racing and blood boiling. So, I ended up having to make a 911 appointment with my OB on Thursday afternoon.

At my OB appointment we peaked in on the babies again to check their heart beats (both were good). And, I of course was happy to see the boys again too after the crazy 24 hours. The MD commented “My, these are busy boys!”. True. Lord help me if they are that busy when they come out. Good news is also that my cervix is fully closed, but the bad news is that the length shortened (I’m sure due to the stress) from 3.3 cm two weeks ago to between 1.5 - 2 cm. This was somewhat concerning, as they don’t want the cervical length to fall below 2.5cm. The MD also took a FFN test, and it came back negative. Not sure of the accuracy of this test – but a positive result would mean that you’d be expected to go into labor within 14 days. I was given some restrictions so I’m now trying to stay off my feet, lay down as much as possible, and keep hydrated. I’ll be working from home 2 or 3 days/week unless my cervix elongates (which I guess is possible). Anyway, we’ll recheck everything again next week.

Yes, friends… it’s been a crazy week. But, in reality – our week was nothing. We are reminded of this when I think of Gabby’s friend, Sophie, 2.5 yrs old, from across the street who is at the hospital right now recovering from her second major surgery in two weeks to do a full shunt replacement. Her twin brother Trent is torn up, parents are obviously worried and beside themselves, and I am amazed at how this family is able to cope. I can’t even imagine…

Please say a prayer for Gabby’s friend, Sophie, and continue to keep the twins in your thoughts and prayers! They need to stay safe inside me for another 13 weeks!

No comments: