Running friends: don't hate the treadmill! Mentally, I am not a treadmill runner. But I have to sing it's praises! It does have benefits if you use it right. It can also improve your endurance and your speed.
I am an outdoor runner at heart. Never been a huge fan of the treadmill, but I use it when I can’t deal with the elements outside, or if my opportunity to run comes when it’s dark outside, as I never feel safe running in the dark.
Since early January, 90% of my running has been on a treadmill (mainly because I end up running at 9pm). Weather also factors in on occasion, as does the fact we no longer have an au pair and Dan travels frequently. I don’t love it - but at least the treadmill allows me to get my runs in, get my happy on, and catch up on guilty pleasure TV shows.
There’s never an ideal time when you’ve got 4 kids and no childcare help. I’m finding I try to sneak it in when Marco naps or after I get the kids tucked in bed and the kitchen cleaned up. Of course, this also happens to be when I am completely exhausted from the day. When I run on the treadmill during Marco’s naps, I’ll feel bad that I’m not spending quality time with Giuls. But, I’ll give her some books and play dough and a comfy chair next to me, and that usually occupies her while I get the endorphins flowing. After all, I know I’ll do a much better job being their mommy if I feel healthy and good about myself.
To keep the treadmill exciting, I've focused on speedwork with small inclines. I’ve been playing with increasing my speed for one minute intervals. And, then the last mile, I'll increase speed in .1mpm pace increments, every tenth of a mile.
Now that it’s warming up a bit, and daylight is extending, I’ve been getting out on the trails again and I’ve been surprised at my mile splits. I’m hitting 8mpm and sometimes under, while on my 6 mile trail. I think the last time I was doing that, it was the summer of 2011, before I was pregnant with Marco.
It was such a fun, pleasant surprise to be able to do this… because I’ve felt really slow since trying to get back into shape after having Marco. I think the treadmill actually helped me get over a speed bump.
So, why am I sharing this? I just want to encourage anyone and everyone to do what you need to do to stay healthy and fit. It’s so important to strive for at least 30 minutes of exercise daily. I wish I was taught the importance of exercise and eating right while growing up. It just wasn’t something that was emphasized at the time. Nor was there as much research showing the importance and the benefits, as there is now.
I don’t exercise daily, but I try to get out there as often as I can. Whether it’s a run, a brisk walk or just playing around actively with my kids inside or out. Trust me when I say I understand how hard it is to find the time or make the time, especially when you’ve got small children depending on you for every request. But, just try! You can do it too!
No comments:
Post a Comment