10/31/13

A Devil, Pirate, Lion and Monkey

This might sound funny... but I love being able to celebrate Halloween in California again!

A lot of people go all out in decorating their homes w/gigantic spiders, cob webs everywhere, scarecrows, witches, skeletons, etc. It's always so fun to go driving through your neighborhood and see all the "spooky houses" (how my children refer to them).

Since we moved into our new house on Oct 3rd, I was consumed for the first two weeks with unpacking boxes and trying to get organized. So, once again... I ordered costumes in the 11th hour. The reason I say once again is because in 2010, we had moved into the WA house on October 13th... so costumes were finally ordered the week before Halloween on rush delivery (it was SUCH a crazy time!).

Gabby decided to be a devil... so I ordered a cute devil costume. She told me on Halloween day that she wanted to be a scary devil and even seemed a tiny bit upset about her costume. When asking her about why she wanted a scary costume I could tell their was a bit of peer pressure in having the desire to be *spooky*. [Newsflash parents: apparently, second grade is when getting spooked and dressing up scary is all the rage.] The *cute* costume included a devil ear headband, a devil tale, and a devil pitchfork wand.

Rocco decided to be a pirate. This decision was made 20 seconds after his new best pal David proclaimed that HE wanted to be a pirate for Halloween. David is VERY into the pirate thing. And, I adore Rocco's new best pal! I think prior to David saying he wanted to be a pirate... Rocco had talked about being various things including a karate guy, a ninja warrior, a transformer, etc. Nothing ever stuck. The pirate stuck though! We found him a great costume, complete with an eye patch, earring, mustache (which he never wore), and most importantly... the pirate SWORD! Arrrrrrrrr...

In the interest of trying to reuse some of the many costumes we're gathering... I asked Giuliana if she would like to be a purple butterfly, a lion, B.atgirl, princess B.elle... or if there was something else she wanted to be. She immediately grabbed onto the lion theme and ran with it. I had asked a few months prior what she was going to be for Halloween, without any prompting, and she told me a butterfly. She really likes butterflies and she LOVES the color purple. So... I was somewhat surprised that she didn't want to make use of the purple butterfly costume Gabby had used 4 years ago. But, I seriously LOVE that she chose to be the lion! It was a super cute costume given to us by some fabulous LG neighbors/friends. And, Giuliana looked SO ADORABLE in it because her curly hair stuck out like an extension of the lion's mane. SO SUPER CUTE! And, she would roar w/her big eyes, and a goofy laugh. Beyond adorable!

Marco was C.urious G.eorge. It was that or the bat costume, which I think he would have been a little big for. He looked super cute in the monkey costume and it allowed Dan one final opportunity to wear his M.an in the Y.ellow Hat costume. The two of them looked darling together and it was Dan's last costume hurrah! Over the past 6 years, he had partnered with each one of the kids (except Matteo) to be C.urious G.eorge and The M.an in the Ye.llow Hat. Marco freaked when Dan first came out in costume... we actually had to bribe him with a K.itK.at to pose with Dan for photos. Then, he was fine. (candy = worlds best child bribery tool, always)

No comments: