1/1/09

1 Year Ago Today. Tuesday - January 6, 2009

1 year ago today, I was:
* Bigger than a house… couldn’t even connect my hands in front of my belly and weighed approx 170lbs. My belly itched SO BAD... I was scratching the skin so much it looked raw. And, every time I would sit down it looked like I swallowed a pinball machine.

*Worried that the babies would come too early and worried about their health. I was 35 weeks and 1 day along. My goal was to carry them at least until 36 weeks, which would have been average gestational period for twins.

* Trying to restore order in our house, after a huge remodel and addition was put on. We moved back in on New Year's Eve day. Not one single door was on a hinge, not one single mirror was hung, eletrical work was still being completed, painting was still be completed, cabinets were still being installed. Pure CRAZYNESS! I was doing all the things that a woman 35 weeks pregnant with twins should not be doing... unpacking boxes, moving boxes, putting things away, staying on top of contractors (reminding them I was crazy!), etc. This is how I spent the last week and a half of my high-risk pregnancy. Not on bedrest as the doctor ordered. But, if I wasn’t going to do this stuff… who was?! Dan had just started a new job, so he was completely unavailable. Rewind 7 months earlier... June 2007... I found out I was pregnant with triplets 1 week after moving into a rental while our house was being gutted. PANIC! If only I could have had a crystal ball... the house project would have been delayed... majorly!

* Trying not to be too emotional about the fact that I didn't have time to sit down and RELAX or enjoy the last few days before two new babIES were going to enter our lives and join me in my ongoing marathon of sleepless nights. Aren't women this pregnant supposed to be laying on the sofa while eating bon bons and watching mindless TV?
* Trying not to show the pain I felt because my feet and legs were swollen beyond recognition from standing and doing housework from 7am-midnight (for almost a week straight at that point). I also had pain from Rocco's head... I was sure it was going to bust out of me at any second. I was in a race against time. In my mind, order had to be restored BEFORE those babies were going to arrive. The thought of 3 under 3 was overwhelming… I mean, when would I find time to even brush my teeth?
* Trying not to get too emotional about the fact that the nursery wasn’t ready yet and not a single item of newborn baby boy clothing had been washed.
* Trying not to cry daily because I was beyond stressed. But, I did. I cried a lot in those last 7 days before the babies were born. I remember one day when Gabby and Dan hugged me and told me it would all be ok. And, then Gabby went back to playing and Dan went back to working or playing PlayStation.
* LOVING that my mom was here, helping me unpack boxes, organize the house, washing clothes and linens that were in boxes for 7 MONTHS, helping run errands, helping with Gabby, starting to organize the nursery and wash baby clothes. You know – all that stuff that only your mother would do for you.
* LOVING that my mom was here to help make sure food was in the house for Gabby and Dan. I’m not sure I even ate much food in that last week… because I was a crazy woman working away like bird building it’s nest for the 20th time.

TODAY...
* I am so thankful for my healthy kids and family.
* I think I was literally a CRAZY WOMAN at this time last year. Poor Dan! I'll blame it on the hormones! ;-)

No comments: