1/29/09

Let the biting begin... Friday - January 30, 2009

Turns out Matteo has decided to take unfairness matters into his own hands… erhm… I mean mouth.

If you are 3 years and under in our house, the toy box is one of several interesting “places to gather”. And, if you are one of two little one-year olds in our home… and you see your buddy in the toy box, well then you also suddenly want to be in the toy box too. It doesn’t matter if you have to sit on your buddy or use his head as a source of balance, or attempt to pull him out to get in. You will ultimately work your way into that toy box and then proceed to have a stare down with your little buddy until eventually one of you surrenders and decides to climb out of the toy box. Sometimes fun is had by two little boys in the toybox. Yes, giggles do take place from time to time. But, more often than not, the toy box seems to be somewhat symbolic of power and/or defeat.

Yesterday morning, Matteo was sitting inside the toy box when Rocco decided he was going to join him. I was unloading the dishwasher. All of a sudden I heard a painful cry from Rocco and he was holding his finger in the air. Immediately, I thought “Huh… I wonder if Matt bit him.” But then I sort of blew it off thinking sweet little Matt wouldn’t do something like that. Usually, he is the one to be hurt by Rocco.

So when Rocco was still crying this painful cry 45 seconds later I decided to go over and save him with mommy hugs.

And wow! Sure enough. Matteo bit the heck out of Rocco’s finger! The teeth marks were pretty deep and stayed visible for a good 15 minutes. But… no blood. No broken fingers.

I hope this isn’t the start of a biting problem. Rather, my guess/hope is that this incident was a result of Rocco playfully sticking his finger in Matt’s mouth, and Matt playfully reacting by biting. Afterall, Rocco IS known to stick his finger in people’s mouths... a lot. He also loves to feed Matt and all the people in his life who feed him.

Crazy boyz.

No comments: