Last night, I found Gabby crying in our master bathroom.
I had rounded her up for bedtime and sent her off to our room so we could brush teeth. I did my pre-bedtime check on Rocco and as I left his room I could hear Gabby crying. Sobbing actually.
I rushed in to find her looking in the mirror, crying her little eyes out.
Me: "Gabby, what's wrong?!"
Gabby: "I just REALLY miss Matteo a lot. I wish he was here. He is my little brother and I miss playing with him."
Me: Now also crying... "I know sweetheart. I miss him too. It's ok to miss him. And, it's ok to be sad and cry about it too. We loved him very much and he is probably hugging us right now trying to make us feel better."
Gabby: "Is he here with us right now?"
Me: "Yes, he is. He's always with us. Let's talk about him... do you remember what his favorite toys were?"
We went on to have a 20 minute conversation about Matteo and all of his favorite things, funny things he would do or say, and our memories of him.
Gabby said her favorite memory of him was how he would always do his little standing wiggle dance when he was happy or having fun. She also said she liked the little dance he would do when the "Go Diego, Go!" theme song was on TV.
It's amazing how moments like this can kick me right in the heart. They knock the wind right out of me. They require every ounce of my "being" as a parent to try and hold it together... a little bit anyway... for the sake of my other child(ren).
I am 99% sure that Gabby's crying episode was probably spurred by her having seen and heard me crying about missing Matteo when she got home last night.
I know it may be close to 5 months since Matt died. But, sometimes the pain and realization of what's happened seems like 5 minutes ago. The thought of him being dead still very much takes my breath away at least 50 times a day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I am praying for you. Its great she still has those memories.
Sending Gabby a cyberhug...
My granddaughter wanted to go to the cemetery one afternoon when she was visiting. So we went and when we got there she said to me "When I come here I like to close my eyes and pretend Jayden is here. I run and pretend his is running with me." And then she took off, running, laughing, spinning...with her memories.
Memories...I'm so glad these two little girls have them.
Hugs to you too.
Jodi, I am so sorry! I am praying for you all.
praying for you.
I wish I had comforting words to say but I just wanted you to know that I will pray for you and your family.
Em
from Australia
Oh Jodi, It sounds like you handled that so well with her. You're such a good mom.
Much love,
Abby
Not a day passes that I do not think of you guys in some capacity. Losing Matteo from this world deeply affected my understanding of the fragility of life. For Mike, too. We went on a trip to Big Sur a few weeks back in a private cabin up in the mountains that had a huge window in the bedroom. As always, Michael arose early, far before the stars disappeared from the sky. I awoke,too, and we stared at the stars--one especially burned brightly in the sky. Then Michael softly whispered, "Hi, Matatoe." We thought about you all in the silence of the early morn as that star continued to burn brightly until it was the last remaining in the sky. We knew that this was the star that you have spoken of. This was Matt saying hi. We love you guys and are thinking of you all. Have a great week.
Post a Comment