3/24/11

Bleep!

Yesterday, Rocco was out riding bikes with Gabby and Maria, our au pair. When he was finished he was trying to take his helmet off. He was having a really hard time trying to unclip it and started getting really frustrated. Well... add this to an already frustrating day of waking up early, not getting to eat candy before lunch, your big sister teasing you, and your little sister wanting everything you're holding... and this pretty much equals a really bad day in the life of a 3 year old. After trying and trying to get his helmet unclipped, he finally yelled "I CAN'T GET THIS F*CKING THING OFF MY HEAD!"

Obviously, I don't want my kids swearing. Who wants their child to have potty mouth?! Not me! But, when they shock you with something like this, it is SO FUNNY that we were a pile of hysterics. We were shocked! Once you compose yourself, you're able to put your mommy hat on, slap on your serious (but understanding) face, and have the talk about *words that don't make you sound nice* and all the other words available to express your anger.

That's the first time I've ever heard Rocco say that word. Last year, he had a little run with the word "dammit". Probably due to the fact that daddy had lots of random house projects and seemed to favor that word when something went wrong or when he'd hurt himself. Well, it didn't take long before Rocco understood appropriate uses for the word. Next thing you know, Rocco would break something and say "dammit!" or he'd bump his head and say "dammit!". Needless to say, this was quickly put to rest.

The only memory I have of Gabby saying a swear word was from when she was 2yrs old:
Me: (just getting home from grocery store) Hi Gabby! Where are daddy and the twins?
Gabby: They are upstairs.
Me: What are they doing?
Gabby: The babies are sleeping.
Me: Well, where is daddy?
Gabby: Daddy is mad because he got throwed up on.
Me: He did? Uh oh... that's not good. What did daddy do when he got *throwed up on*?
Gabby: He said "goddammit"

I guess I was expecting her to tell me he wiped up the puke or whatever. So, this still makes me laugh because she said it so matter-of-fact, like nothing else happened.

3 comments:

ellen said...

This might make you laugh too: http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2011/03/18

:)

Triplets and a Surprise said...

Hilarious!!! The only run in with "bad words" around here so far are "pooty-head tooty-head" and "bottom head", and I'm actually kind of surprised it hasn't gotten worse yet, haha!

Heather said...

That is hilarious. I laughed so hard that my husband asked me what was so funny, and then he laughed hysterically. Perhaps because we're just waiting for the day that our kids come out with something similar. . . .