My grandma Leona was the sweetest, hardest-working, thoughtful, big-hearted and most kind person I have ever known. She had such a hard work ethic, she was lively and fun and entertaining, and she had the most amazing laugh.
The last time I saw her was in September 2010. She was still living in her home at the time, and while she had slowed down considerably, she was still doing quite well.
If I could go back in time, I would have held her real tight in a bear hug for a half hour, while telling her how special she was to me, how many wonderful memories I will keep tucked away in my heart and mind of her, how much I admired her, and what a great role model she was for me growing up.
She passed away in the very early morning hours of January 10th. The same day my sweet twin boys were born five year prior, and Giuliana was born three years prior.
I can only imagine her reception into the Heavens. And, I imagine my sweet little Matteo being so grateful to see his great grandmother again, helping to celebrate his birthday.
She had been living in an assisted living home for just over a year. Her health had taken some turns for the worse during the year. Then, she caught a virus in December… and she just couldn’t recover.
She went into the hospital shortly after Christmas, and never went back to her home. My mom spent every minute she could possibly spend with her… making sure she was well taken care of, and comfortable, and that they were doing everything possible to help her pull through the virus and subsequent health issues.
I knew in my heart that grandma Oni was pretty sick, and there was a chance she would not make it through this. But, it didn’t stop me from having high hopes and praying for a miracle and healing and strength.
I recall the night she died, praying to my little Matteo and G.od before i went to sleep. I prayed that they help her remain comfortable and that they welcome her with open arms and take very good care of her when she arrived in Heaven. I fell asleep after silently crying myself to sleep so as not to wake anyone.
I woke up just after midnight on January 10th, and I remember looking towards the end of my bed and immediately thought of grandma Oni. I swear I could feel her presence in the room, and I felt like she was there with me. I had been so sad as I drifted off to sleep that night… and now, I felt a sweeping rush of peacefulness. I felt as if she was ok, and had a feeling that she had passed.
Sure enough, she passed away at 1:37am (CT) on January 10th, which was 11:37pm PT on the 9th. I got goosebumps when my mom shared this with me.
I truly believe her soul visited me that night shortly after she died.
No comments:
Post a Comment