12/13/10

Flooding in December?

It has rained a lot here since Saturday. And, I mean... a LOT. So much in fact, that roads are actually flooded over.

When you grow up in Minnesota - you know crazy weather. You actually appreciate it and anticipate it in a way. But after living in CA for the past 11 years... well, I went a little soft. Still getting used to actually checking what the weather will bring tomorrow, etc.

So... November brought us snowflakes. Two inches of snowflakes where we live and LOTS of snow in the mountains. The weather theme developing for December is flooding.

I took these photos of the big kids at the bottom of our hill this afternoon. This is a road that we usually drive on at least twice a day. Today, I had to find an alternate route to get Gabby to school. So crazy!

This river is usually about 50 meters wide, and flows nicely under the blue bridge that you can see in the back of these photos. I would estimate that the river has swelled to almost three quarters of a mile or a mile wide.

Sure will be interesting to see how long it takes to dry up. And, I think more rain is in the forecast this week... yikes!

If I meet a man named Noah, who just so happens to own a very large boat with a long line of animals trying to get on... then I'll start to worry.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I have been following your blog since around the time you lost your precious Matteo. I learned of this family today as one of their 20 month old twin daughters passed away in her sleep a few days ago. I immediately thought of you and what comfort you could be for her knowing what she must be going through. God Bless you all! http://www.threedoodles.blogspot.com/

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

bet you would rather have snow? hope the water recedes! cathy

hughesfamily said...

Hi,
You don't know me at all, and I apologize in advance for seeming like some stalker! Ha ha. But, I found your blog through a comment you made on my friend's blog (Evie Harrison passed away December 9th). I read almost your entire blog the other day, and I have not been able to stop thinking about you and your family. You have a beautiful family and are an inspirational mother. Your kids are so cherished! This is going to sounds crazy, but I just have to tell you this after reading your blog...I think you should write a book. Seriously. I was captivated by your story and feel so connected to you after reading it. I think that is the sign of a strong writer- feeling like the author is your friend when you finish. I am not a book publisher or anything, but I am an avid reader, a mom (of a 20 month old girl), and an English teacher. Your writing style is truly captivating- you have a poetic wway with words. Plus, I have never experienced such a loss, but I know that I find comfort in words. I think your story would be such a help to other people. I know it would be such a personal, heart-wrenching task...but I also really feel like, for you, it would help provide a sense of purpose or meaning to your life after this tragedy. You seem like the kind of person that wants to help others; you seem so giving and generous. I think this would help you heal a little and benefit so many people. You could be assured that little Matteo would continue to touch other people's lives and his legacy will continue.

You either think I am crazy, have already thought of this, or both! I just had to tell you this. Your voice, your presence, your love for your children, and your devotion to Matteo are so inspiring and memorable.