As most people know, we opened a memorial fund in Matteo's name shortly after he died. At the time, we were hoping to find out why he died, and that in turn was going to assist us in how we chose to use the funds that have so generously been donated.
Unfortunately, Matteo's cause of death has officially been noted as "unknown cause". So, we will never really know why Matteo died.
Details as to the viruses and causes of death that were ruled out were included in this blog post. There was speculation as to whether a specific virus may have been the cause of death, but due to the fact that it is next to impossible to grow that bacteria on post-mortem tissue, we'll never know if Matteo had that virus. Not to mention the fact that hundreds of viruses exist and tests do not exist to identify them.
Sadly, Dr. J told me several times that all of Matt's organs looked very good... he looked like a very healthy little boy. I won't even start down the path of how unfair this is. It is just plain painful.
Dan and I still often wonder if Matteo may have died of SIDS. Our coroner, Dr. J., ruled out SIDS based on the fact that Matteo was over 12 months of age and his mouth and nose were not blocked by a blanket when we discovered him. But... we've been told by other physicians that SIDS can happen up to 24 months of age.
Anyway, the reason for this post is three-fold.
First, we are looking for suggestions as to how we should use/donate the money in the Matteo Tate Martino Memorial fund. Should we put the money towards SIDS prevention? Educating people about the importance of vaccinations? Should we use the money to help families who couldn't normally afford to vaccinate their children? And, is there an organization you are aware of that does this? Should we donate the money to the children's hospital where he was born?
Secondly, we still have people asking how they can donate to Matteo's memorial fund. If you are interested in doing so, it is very easy... just follow these instructions:
1. Make checks out to: MATTEO TATE MARTINO MEMORIAL
2. You may send the check to our home if you prefer. For obvious reasons, our address will not be shared online.
3. Or, you can mail a check directly to this address:
ELECTRIC FEDERAL CREDIT UNION
PO BOX 6479
SAN JOSE, CA 95150-6479
Also, once we decide which charity we will be supporting and/or how we will use this money, I am planning to organize an annual event to raise money and awareness for the cause. It will most likely be an annual run/walk event. And, all profits will be put towards the memorial fund. If you or anyone you know has ever been involved in organizing such an event, I would love to hear from you, as I will need assistance in getting this off the ground and running. I will need a logo, I will need t-shirts, I will need ads for local papers, I will need flyers created, I'm sure I'll need city permits of some sort to hold such an event, etc.
We need more than one way to keep Matteo's memory alive beyond our home and conversations. And that is something I will put my heart and soul into for as long as I walk this earth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Educating people about the importance of vaccinations and help families who couldn't normally afford to vaccinate their children. You might be able to find one that does both. I work at a daycare center and may have access to information on this I will lok next week and e-mail you personally. Please contact me at thompson@sptent.com if you'd like
Thank You
Paula Thompson
Hy Jodi!
I think that wherever you give the Matteo's memorial fund is perfect, and it's a great way to keep your baby's memory alive.
I think you should check this family out. They lost their daughter almost a year ago, and they decided to make a playground in memory of their precious baby girl.
http://themcclenahans.blogspot.com/
Praying for your family!
I like the play ground idea personally.
Overall I seem to like a gift idea than a donation idea. Since his cause of death is unknown there is no special organization to donate it to. I think it would be amazing to make someone's day by helping out individual people..
Donating money for a playground in his name, to the hospital where he was born or another children's hospital for stuff for the kid's there, start an organization in your neighborhood that does free car seat checks and donates car seats to people who don't have proper ones in their car, find special families in your area that need help, etc.
i like the idea of supporting vaccinations, maybe in a 3rd world country. you would know that lives were saved by Matteo.
Jodi,
Your ideas are wonderful and I am sure whatever you choose will be perfect in honoring Matteo memory.
Here are a couple of other suggestions:
http://www.firstcandle.org/index.html - First Candle fund's research and prevention efforts for Stillbirth, SIDS and other Sudden, Unexpected Infant Deaths (SUID).....among other things.
http://www.twinlesstwins.org/HOME/tabid/53/Default.aspx - Once a twin always a twin... it made me think of sweet little Matteo and Rocco.
Like I said, WHATEVER you do I am sure will help others & honor Matteo!
I love Beth's idea of twinless twins. Since there is no specific cause of death to point you in a specific charities direction I'd go with something definitely connects to Matteo.
Truth be told there's no bad idea when it comes to donating money to help a cause.
I'm sure whatever you chose to do will be a loving remembrance to Matteo.
hi jodi-
do you have an e-mail address associated with this blog? i've been thinking about your charity proposal and i'd like to send you an idea that i have. thanks!
-erin
Maybe you're just the one to start a foundation to support parents who have lost children due to "unknown causes". Being able to pin the loss on a known enemy brings with it an entirely different emotional challenge than being left not knowing, as you have been. This article: http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/30910 makes me think there are a lot more parents out there like you guys. Perhaps there is something to be gained by banding together. The best providers of comfort are those who have received it for the same ailment. You are not alone. Perhaps Matteo's fund could help make sure those words bring comfort to others.
I personally like the playground idea as well. It's something your other children would enjoy as well.
A family in the twin cities did something similar. Here is their story.
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/william-david-romans-climbing-wall-zoo-fund-dec-6-2009
This is my first time reading your blog. I am so sorry for the loss of your son. We lost our first born daughter - she was stillborn and the doctors were not able to determine why.
Its a question that stays with you.
After a couple years of volunteering, I have become a Board member to Angel Names Association (NY). We support families that have stillborn children across the US by financially helping with end of life costs -- funeral, headstone, etc. We also provide memory boxes so parents have items to capture precious memories while in the hospital.
Please check out www.angelnames.org to see if our charity is something that interest you. Where ever you decide, it will change someone's life and make them feel less alone.
-Paige
Jodi, my first thought on this was to somehow support other parents and families who suffer the death of a child. I believe that your blog is/will be deeply helpful to others in similar situations. You may not even realize how gripping your writing is. You have graciously invited people into your pain and suffering. Through your honestly we are able to get a sense of the incredible sorrow you feel and how you have to numb yourself to the pain simply to get through the day. Of course I cannot begin to understand or imagine, but your writing does make me a better parent and for that will be forever grateful to you. But that is just me, there are others who are going through this same loss and pain and unfortunately others will also experience tragedy. They will benefit from your writing.
Another thought I had expands on Mike's comment, perhaps you are the one to start a foundation for parents who have lost children with unknown causes or SIDS research for up to 24 mths old.
Sorry this is getting long, but here is something else for you to consider...what if, one year at your event, you only raise a few dollars, how passionate are you going to be about that cause in the next year? because it isn't about how much money you raise it is really about the purpose. You will always be passionate about keeping Matteo's memory alive. But you also need to be passionate about the purpose of the cause you are supporting. What cause and/or organization are you going to be able to put your heart and soul into, year after year for the memory of your precious angel!? Only you can answer that!
Post a Comment