12/28/09

Christmas Eve, 2009


















We went to church on Christmas Eve. It was packed and standing room only 15 minutes prior to mass starting… so we ended up listening to the service from the baby/toddler/parent room at the back of church. Well… and to be totally honest, Dan and Rocco spent most of their time roaming around outside playing catch with oranges (from the church trees), etc. After the service, we had to go up to the front of church so Gabby and Rocco could see baby Jesus in the manger. Gabby asked a LOT of questions this year about why baby Jesus was born in a barn, why his crib was a manger, and why there were no hotels left for Mary and Joseph.

After church, we came home and opened presents, and then ate Dan’s very yummy lasagna. We had a nice night together as a family and enjoyed sharing our Christmas Eve traditions with Sarah, our au pair from Germany.

The kids LOVED the presents Sarah gave them... she gave Gabby a princess bag filled with a princess sippy cup, a princess t-shirt, a princess magic towel, etc. Rocco got a Cars bag filled with a 101 Dalmation puppy, a Cars sippy cup, a Donald Duck magic towel, etc.
Other show-stopping toys were the Thomas the Train engine and cars that pulled behind it for Rocco. After he opened that... we had to BEG him to open more gifts. He also got lots of other fun stuff and finished opening his gifts on 12/26. Gabby LOVED getting new sparkly pink flats, princess Ariel & Erik dolls, a new Princess sweatshirt, a new fancy dress, and lots of other princess stuff.

Throughout the entire day, not a moment passed where Matteo was not in my thoughts. I thought about him constantly. I found myself talking to him and about him often. Dan and I exchanged a number of stories from our Christmas with him last year. I missed him immensely. I wondered what he’d be doing, what his favorite gifts would have been, etc. I must have paused everything a million times that day just to stop and cry and take a few deep breaths.

Thank God for Gabby and Rocco… I don’t think I could have made it through Christmas without the two of them. These two amazing little people have no idea what joy and happiness they bring to our lives… even in our darkest moments. We could not possibly ever love or cherish anything more than our children.







1 comment:

Poppy said...

Lovely photo of you and Dad with Gabby & Rocco.

I was thinking of you on Christmas and wondering how you were doing. I know this had to be an especially difficult day for you. I wish it were not.