8/9/09

Crib

We took down one of the cribs today in Rocco and Matteo's bedroom.

We have left Matteo's crib up. We took down Rocco's crib. I could not bring myself to part with Matt's crib.

His bite marks line the front rail, it's the crib both boys slept in together until they were about four months old. It has too many memories.

I told Dan about two weeks ago that we'd be taking Rocco's crib down and not Matteo's. I cried when I told him why I couldn't part with Matt's crib. It's where we can still see his tooth marks. It's where I remember him holding onto the rails and eagerly awaiting me to grab him out of his crib. It's where he'd look out at Rocco across the room... and they'd jump together and scream/talk back and forth before bedtime. It's where he slept with his twin brother for four months. And, sadly, it's where he spent the last hours of his life and took his last breath. I cried when I told Dan why I couldn't get rid of Matt's crib. I told him we'd probably have Matt's crib for the rest of our lives. I just don't think I can ever get rid of it. Dan just held me while I cried.

Rocco will now sleep in Matt's crib. I know with my whole heart that Matt will watch over Rocco in that crib. He'll sleep with his brother every single night and be his guardian angel, keeping him safe.

So, today... Dan took down Rocco's crib. I couldn't be in the room while he dismantled it. I didn't want to see it being taken apart. That would have been too difficult. But at the same time, I knew in my heart it was time for us to do this.

What brought me to tears today and made me sob was not how I felt, but how Gabby reacted to us taking down the crib. She did not understand why Dan was taking one of them down. She got very sad. She kept asking why we were taking the crib apart. We told her it was because Matteo died and only one baby needs a crib now. She said "but what if he comes back?" We had to tell her repeatedly, that he wasn't coming back. Do you know how hard that was? Do you know how hard it was to tell her that Matteo will not be coming back to sleep in the bedroom he shares with his twin brother?

Do you know how hard it is to look at your sad-faced, teary-eyed 3.5 year old who lives in a princess and fairy land where everything has a happy ending... and try to explain to her that this tragic event in our lives can not be reversed? That he will not come back to life? She has said on more than one occacasion that she thinks and wishes for Matteo to come back for her birthday party in November. It's almost as if she thinks he's just on a mini-vacation. Oh, how I wish that were the case. And, then when I tell her he won't be coming back now and he won't be coming back for her birthday it's as if I'm crushing her belief and dream that he WILL come back for her birthday party... and that everything will once again be perfect and Matt will be with us.

Do you know how hard it is to not be able to fix this problem? It rips your heart out. Literally. To see Gabby sad about Matteo. And, knowing that she does not "really" understand why Matteo's not coming back. At the same time, I can't even f'ing believe my child won't be coming back. I don't know why he died and I can't yet tell her why he died or why he had to leave us.

Yeah. It sucks. It sucks beyond words. It's like having someone reach into your chest, pull your heart out, throw it on the ground, jump up and down on it a million times. And, then do it repeatedly every day.

Then... she tells me she is sad and that she really misses Matteo. And, I know in my heart that she is possibly starting to "get it" a little more. Just as I am. That Matteo is not coming back. He's gone. I can look out the door for as long as I want and wait for someone to bring him back. But, he's not coming back. I can wish upon his star and pray every night before I go to bed that this is all an awful, AWFUL, sick nightmare. But, it's not. It's our new reality. And nobody "really" knows how we feel. Nobody knows how I feel. Nobody knows how Dan feels. Nobody knows how Gabby feels. Nobody knows how Rocco feels.

And, while we have felt the love and contined generousity from so many people... our many dear friends, family and even complete strangers... I have never, ever felt more alone in my entire life.

Completely, and fully alone.

I look around me and people are living life. Their lives are normal and they don't have this giant hole in their chest that I feel every minute of the day. Our lives are different now. Forever. I miss Matt. We miss Matt. I miss him more than I have ever missed anything and more than I could ever explain to anyone. I feel bad for my husband. I feel bad for my kids. I feel bad because I know what we're missing and what we'll never, ever be able to replace. It's a giant hole. GIANT.

It's hard. Sometimes every day seems more difficult. Every day is another day that I miss my sweet baby and another day since I last held him and felt him snuggle up to me. And, I don't want to get used to missing him... ever. I don't want to reach the point of it feeling "normal" without him. The thought of that alone is painful.

15 comments:

Diana Lopez said...

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27

"Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called."
1 Timothy 6:12

Lucco Girls said...

You're not alone. Keep telling us about it and keep sharing your story. We'll be here for you to share in your pain. Nobody can ever know how you feel - but we can be here to listen/read/share and cry right along with you. Always remember too - that your Angles in Heaven are holding your hand every step of the way.

Tia said...

i'm so so sorry for your loss, but we're right here with you.
no, we don't know what you're going through. but we're here to hold your hand, to be your shoulder to cry on and to be the ones to listen when you feel you're dying inside.

Stacemoe said...

Praying Peace for you from Dallas...

Beth said...

So sorry for you.... still praying!

abbittfamily said...

Jodi,

Although I do not experience your pain I share it as a mother. Every time I read your updates my heart pours out for you!

I pray for comfort and for the coroner to give you some answers in the near future.

In love and peace,

Terri

Unknown said...

Jodi I am so sorry for your loss. When I read your posts my heart hurts for you and I can feel your pain. You are not alone. You probably feel like you are walking in the dark, but God is right there with you, take his hand.
So trust in the Lord forever; for the Lord God is an everlasting Rock. Isaiah 26:4

HeatherRyann said...

I'm so sorry. I hope you get the answers you need and I hope they come soon. I've never met you but I think of you and your family everyday. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

Becky said...

No one, NO ONE, should ever lose a child. There should be a law against it... that a child can't die until both parents have passed. So if your parents are both 100, and you are say, 75, you are good to go. You know you are not going any where today. And, as a parent, it would be great peace of mind to know that as long as you are alive yourself, your child will be safe. Oh, that would be grand. Oh the worry that would alleviate. Then no parent would have to know what losing a child feels like. Because I imagine that it wouldn't matter if one's child is 1, 2, 10 or 32...it would be awful, unnatural, not right, a nightmare, to lose him or her. I think of your family often, and everytime I do, I pray that I am having a nightmare and that I will wake up and realize such and all will be right in the world again. That your little Matteo will be home in his crib, sleeping in the room with his brother. I can't even begin to imagine how that is for you. I soooo wish you didn't know. I soooo wish you could escape this reality. I've been a NICU/PEDS nurse for 10 years now, and have seen "too much" of this very unnatural occurance. It never seems right. I never get use to it. My heart breaks each and every single time. I wish I had the magic cure. I soooo wish I did. But I don't. There is no magic pill to take away the hurt. I just hope and pray that you always miss him, that you think of him every day, but as I said before, I hope that as you miss him and think of him, eventually it will be through smiles more often than through tears, through stories more often than through sobs, and through light more often than through the dark. Much love to you and your family. Praying hard!

Kim, Bill, and Isaac said...

Jodi--

I haven't seen you in the 15+ years since we've graduated from high school, but in the past month you are in my thoughts often. You are right when you say that we can't understand your pain. But I hope it brings you at least a tiny bit of comfort to know that back here in your home state there are many who are thinking of you and sending you prayers. I hope that someday when you think of Matteo the first thoughts that enter your mind are your happy memories of him and not the extreme lonliness you feel now.

With continued support and prayers--
Kim Kelzer Breeden and family

Ashley said...

Jodi,

I have been reading your blog for several months now. I have wanted to leave you a comment each time I visit your blog, but never could find the right words to express my deep sorrow for you and your family. Matteo's passing is so unbearabbly unfair. I cannot even begin to imagine your heartache and pain. I just want you to know that I think about you every single day, and pray every night for your family. Please keep writing, we are all here for you.

Ashley

Carrie said...

Just a quick comment to let you know I am still praying for you and your family. I don't know if that is comforting or not, but I am here and I am praying....

Stephanie Waite said...

Dear Jodi,
Someone forwarded your blog address to me and thought you may be interested in a private blog I have set up for parents who have lost young children that were born living. Everyone on there has lost a young child. We are all authors. We go there to be with others who "know." While each of us experiences this grief a bit differently and each of us has their own story we find comfort in knowing we are not alone in so many of our feelings. You would find other women on there whose children died very suddenly and unexplainedly after just having a fever. There are a few of those parents I know that had that happen.

I can totally relate to this post you did. I have a little girl who just turned 4. (I also have two older daughters who are 6 and 8.) A year ago my 14 month old baby girl drowned. I am still explaining that Camille will not be coming out of the box to play or to be there for her birthday. I know how that feels.

If you would like to join us on the angels among us blog you can email me at stephaniewaite at gmail dot com. You can visit my blog at adailyscoop.blogspot.com if you want to read any more about my family.

I will tell you the one thing that most helped me when I was so fresh in my grief like you. A mother who was a year out from losing her 5 year old told me that it would get better. She told me that most of her days were good days and that while she still had those really hard grieving days they were far fewer and further between them. I can tell you this is true. It is still hard. When the waves of grief hit they do so with force. But they do not come as often as they did in those early months.

I hope this will give you the hope it gave me a year ago. I send you love from a knowing heart.

Love,
Stephanie Waite
www.adailyscoop.blogspot.com

edie & ella said...

I really appreciate you sharing your journey with us. I have no comforting words because there is no such thing. I do think of you often throughout every day ... my heart does break for you. I wish there was something I could do but just know that we are here to listen/read. I look forward to your updates (yes i realize that we don't "know" each other)!!!
Thanks for sharing...SAM

Susan said...

I have read your blog for awhile. I discovered it while on bedrest with my second set of surrogate twins. I know it does no good to say how sorry I am but I will say it anyway. I lost a child in 1995. She died the day after she was born so I in no way compare my pain to yours. When people told me afterward that it would get better, I was so mad. I didn't want it to get better...I wanted my baby back. 14 years later and I still think, "Samantha would be 14 and we would have four teenagers now". It never goes away. But time dulls the pain. The dulling is sad and horrific at first, but it is eventually a relief. Someday you will think of Matteo without crying. Until that day, you have the horrible task of putting one foot in front of the other. When Sam died, I lived for my other son for a long time. Hang in there. Eat. Sleep. Cry.