A Sixth Sense?
I probably wouldn't have put money on it 9 weeks ago. But, I'd put money on it today.
**** THE NIGHT BEFORE ****
On Matteo’s last day of life, July 4th, I spent most of my day snuggling up to him and taking care of him. He spent some time playing with Rocco and Gabby sporadically throughout the day as he normally did… but not as much as normal. It was obvious he wasn’t feeling well. He preferred to spend the day snuggled up to me and watching his two favorite shows, “Go Diego, Go!” and “Dora”.
In the late afternoon, Dan took Gabby and Rocco to the grocery store. I was about to sit down and snuggle up with Matt again… and decided I’d grab a light read off the book shelf so I could be entertained while watching the same TV shows over again. We have bookshelves full of books… and for some random reason, I ended up picking “The Gift”, a Danielle Steel book that my mom gave me (with a bag full of other books) about 5 or 6 years ago. The last time I read a D. Steel book was probably 6 years ago… and I was expecting an easy-read love story. Not a tragedy.
So, I started reading this book while snuggled up to Matt. The story was about a married couple who tried for years to have a baby. They eventually had a son. After 10 more years of trying, they were blessed with another child - a girl. They were a happy family. And, it’s quite possible the parents cherished their children more than some parents do, partly due to how their kids did not come easy to them. I could relate to this.
So, I kept reading.
When the little girl was 5 years old, she became sick with a fever right around the Christmas holiday. But, she was still playing with her brother and her family and enjoying everything families do around the holidays.
Then, I put the book down because Dan arrived home with the kids and it got crazy in the house.
Later that night, probably somewhere in the 11o’clock hour, I got into bed and started reading “The Gift” again. The little girl couldn’t shake her fever. On the third morning of her fever, her parents knew she was incredibly ill because she was non-responsive and had shallow breathing. They ended up bringing her to the hospital, where she ended up dying of meningitis.
After reading that… I kid you not - I felt sick. I remember wondering how horrible I would feel if I were that parent. I even went as far as worrying myself with the concern of “what if Matteo would die of meningitis? Is that why he has this fever?” Honestly. I pondered this in my head as I laid there in bed. But, I talked myself out of even imagining the slightest possibility that my child could die. None of my children would die after just having a fever. They were sick all winter. Matteo was far sicker when he was diagnosed with hand, foot & mouth disease in May… he was lethargic that weekend. He was playing tonight. Matteo will be fine in the morning. He’ll sleep it off… just like Dan said.
For some reason, I decided to pray to God that night. I told God that Matteo was sick with a 104.3 fever, he wasn’t feeling good, and that he didn’t deserve to be sick anymore. I needed God to make Matt better fast. I honestly wonder every single day if that is when God took him from us. If so, it would have been shortly after midnight.
My gut tells me that Matteo died in the hours of 1-3am. There are many strange things happening to me during those hours. Whether it’s while I’m awake or attempting to sleep, or being woken up. But, I won’t get into those details here.
**** DAN'S DISCOVERY ****
The clock read 5:09am. Rocco was crying. I heard Dan get up and start walking towards the twins bedroom. I decided to get up at the same time to use the bathroom.
Dan rocked Rocco for a minute or two and got him to fall back asleep. He put him back down in the crib. Then, Dan walked over to Matteo’s crib to check on him because he said it seemed “eerily quiet” in that corner of the room. He said something just didn’t feel right. It was too quiet. He went over to Matteo. He touched him. And, he knew. He said it was as if he found something he wasn’t supposed to be finding. As if he discovered something that he wasn’t supposed to discover and that he shouldn't have found what he was finding. He picked Matteo up quickly and walked towards our bedroom.
The clock read 5:12am and I was walking towards our bedroom door and I heard Dan say “Jodi”. He didn’t scream my name. He didn’t whisper it. It didn’t sound like a total emergency. It sounded like a heightened whisper - but almost breathless. Thinking back, the sound of him saying my voice sounded like “Holy shit… holy shit… Tell me this is not true. I can’t believe what I’ve discovered.” When I heard his voice, I could tell he was trying not to yell so he wouldn’t wake the other kids. But, I also knew something was wrong. I knew it had to do with Matteo. I knew his calling my name was urgent. And, I knew he was worried beyond what was imaginable. All from hearing him say “Jodi”… which I now here over, and over every single day… especially at night.
Dan was rushing down the hall with Matteo in his arms. Immediately when he said “Jodi”, I knew something was awfully wrong. I started crying, running towards the bedroom door and yelling back at him “WHAT?!” I KNEW.
I don’t know how I knew, but I knew. I knew something was horribly, horribly wrong. I knew it was Matteo. I knew he was dead when Dan handed Matt to me. I didn’t even have to hold my precious little baby. I just looked at his face and I grabbed him from Dan and put him on my shoulder and started screaming “My baby is dead! Oh God, oh God! Matteo is dead! Call 911! Call 911, Dan!”
And that is how the worst morning of our lives started. I replay the details of this morning over in my head… probably 100 times a day. These memories haunt me at night. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I can’t fall back asleep because I replay this over and over in my head.
Play, rewind, repeat.
**** COINCIDENCE? OR SIXTH SENSE? ****
I wonder if it is a mere coincidence that I just happened to start reading “The Gift” on July 4th. I haven’t picked the book up since. I hate that book right now. Hate it. I’m angry with the book and so many other things.
I wonder if it is a mere coincidence that Dan felt it was eerily quiet in Matt’s corner of the room. Why did he feel the urge to check on him? Was it so I wouldn’t have to discover Matteo dead in his crib? Was it to save me from that memory/pain? On most any other morning, if one twin was still sleeping and quiet after one had woken up and went back to sleep… you’d go right back to bed without checking on the other little guy. Quiet baby used to = good. Now quiet baby = scary.
And, finally, I wonder how the hell I knew it was Matteo. How did I know from hearing Dan call my name in a heightened whisper of a voice, that Matteo was dead? How would ANY mother just KNOW something like that? Something so awful and unbearable… and my mind went there. Instantly. I knew. I knew our f*&$ing nightmare had begun. In that instant. I knew.
Is it a sixth sense, or is it mere coincidence?
Today I know what I’d put my money on.
Feel free to share your own "sixth sense" stories in the comments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I dont have a story to share but wanted to offer ((hugs)). I dont know your family, Im just a stranger on the net....but Im so heartbroken for you and your whole family. I can only imagine the consuming grief you feel. I am SO sorry this has happened to you.
Christina in MI
I too am a stranger but I am just pulled to you and you family.
For me my sixth sense came when my dad died. A few weeks before he died I had a terrible dream he had died. I called my mom because I was so upset and told her, and she told me she had a similar dream. We both agreed to say nothing because we did not want to upset him. A few weeks later he was gone.
The weird thing was he was not in the best of health, but no where near close to death.
I don't know your family, but I have been praying for all of you ever since I found your blog. My heart breaks for ya'll and I hope you find answers soon.
Oh Jodi, reading your post tonight took my breath away. I kept hoping the outcome was different. Isn't that stupid? I was praying that your nightmare had come to an end and that awful morning had never happened. I was horrified & scared for you reading what happened that morning. Tears stream down my face and I am overwhelmed with pain for you. I am so sorry for all that you & your family have gone through and keep going through. That nightmare is never ending and how awful that it repeats itself everytime, every minute. Hugs, Nathalie
I am another stranger here, I don't have a story to share, But I think it is Gods way of showing us life, that he is preparing something big for you and your family,something great. and that book, I guess it was Gods way of trying to prepare you , I think you should try to finish reading "the Gift" I am going to try to find it to read it. And about the prayer, you prayer for God to heal Matteo, God healed Matteo, but in a way that none of us like. He no longer feeling sick, He is with God watching over you all.
Those are just my opinions, what I think....
I'll be forever praying for you and your family.
Hi Jodi - still reading and praying for you guys. I have a story - not sure if it's sixth sense but I sure can relate to your hating that book. On July 22, 2000 about 10:00 pm I was laying on my bed waiting for my boyfriend of five years, Alex, to call and let me know he was home. It was a few hours past when he had said he would call and even though he was genrally a late person I had a bad feeling that something had happened. I had just started reading a new book I had bought that day - it was about a young girl who had lost her parents in a car crash and was being raised by her aunt and uncle. I was only about 20 pages into the book when my boyfriends brother called to tell me that Alex had been shot and killed driving home from his friend's. I was never able to pick that book up and finish reading it - it is still in the box that I keep the few things of Alex's that I still have 7 years later. Though the book wasn't really related to the way Alex died it makes me cry just holding it - I think because it was the last normal thing I did before my life was turned upside down.
I hope that you and your family remain enveloped in the love and support of family and friends as you move through your grief journey and that the sweet memories of your angel Matteo bring you some comfort.
Hugs to you all,
Kristen
Jodi- I still think about you and your family and pray for you everyday.
I have some what of a sixth sense story. This spring around April I felt like everything was going too good. No one in our family had cancer or any sickness, We were all doing good and I felt like sooner or later the bottom was going to fall and someone was going to get sick. Then on May 16 I had a shopping day with my girlfriends and I even stated to them "something is going to happen to one of my family members, I can feel it, it has been too good for too long"! Well That Monday May 18 we got a phone call at 10PM that my father-in-law had a heart attack. He died, in his sleep, at 60 years old!He was not sick at all, sure, he didnt take the best care of himself.....I can relate to the re-playing in your head, I replay the words my husband said to me on the phone that night everyday. So I dont know how I knew, but I just knew!
Jodi,
I don't know you personally either, but my sister-in-law knows you from UND.........I've been reading your blog (you should write a book by the way) and my heart still breaks for you and I think of you and your family daily. Hopefully this will bring you a little comfort.....One of my co-workers and a dear friend of mine husband just passed away from cancer on Friday morning and the last thing he said was "There he is". He suffered for a long time and I think he truly saw God to take him where there was no more pain. My monther-in-law also said that her sister had the biggest smile on her face right before she passed away too and reached up. This isn't really a sixth sense story, but I truly believe that there is a place so much greater for us. It totally sucks that you have to replay that morning in your mind over and over again and I wish nothing but peace for you. Matteo will always and forever be your beautiful angel.
Got your thank-you note last night for the gift to Matteo's memorial. I had meant to tell you when I saw you in Minnesota that I didn't want a thank-you note. What a weird thing to have to write, given the circumstances:-(
Anyway, just peeked at your blog and thought I'd tell you what a BIG believer I am in the sixth sense. I've had a million sixth sense experiences in my life. I'll share a few...
When my sister was murdered I knew she was dead and who had killed her simply by calling my mom's house and having my uncle answer the phone. It was a week night - he only stopped by after church on Sundays. I also knew where Amie's body was, even though the authorities with their dogs, helicopter, etc.. could not find her. I kept trying to tell them, but they weren't listening. After three weeks of searching they finally decided to check where I had suggested, sure enough, there she was. I suppose I could have found her myself...but I needed to save myself from that. Maybe selfish - but maybe just self preservation.
Several years later my little sister and I were talking about Amie's violent death and Tess asked me, "What do you think God would say about Amie dying such a horrible death?" My response was, "I think He will say "This is the day that the Lord hath made." I just happened to have had a daily devotional setting next to me during this conversation. I picked it up and flipped to the date of Amie's death anniversary. The scripture was, "This is the day that the Lord hath made...." No joke.
On a happier note. My whole life I thought I would grow up and have daughters at some point. However, within days of conceiving Rhett I told Mark, "I think I'm baking a boy." Sure enough.
I will say my sixth sense isn't always on full alert. I didn't see Mark's cancer coming. But, even during that I just KNEW certain things. For example, Mark and I had been struggling with secondary infertility for about a year and a half. Right after Mark was diagnosed with cancer I knew it was time, that we would have our second child. Why I had this thought as Mark faced his own mortality, I'll never know. Mark and I talked about it, then talked with the oncologist and a reproductive endocrinologist. We decided to try insemination. Because Mark's cancer was so aggressive (metastatic melanoma)the oncologist agreed to only give us one cycle before insisting Mark start his treatment. So here we are, one shot to get pregnant before Mark's sperm is completely obliterated, and sure enough, it happens....with only 2 million sperm (God bless Mark, I think he was a little stressed)and a 10-15% chance of getting pregnant even with 50 million sperm. Here is the cool thing, the night before the insemination, Mark had a dream about a baby rising out of the ashes, just like a phoenix. I also had a dream about hanging up baby clothes. The nurse who did the insemination for us was AWFUL. Here we are with only one chance to get pregnant, with TERRIBLE statistics we are trying to overcome, and she says, before even doing the insemination, mind you, "There is pretty much no chance of you getting pregnant today. You need to leave here, go home, and talk to your insurance company about IVF." I thought Mark was going to fall over with sadness, but I grabbed his face and said, "You look me in the face and you listen. You and I both know we are creating life in this moment. I promise you we are making our second child today." Sure enough. And perhaps now you know why Gabriel's name is so fitting. Talk about an angel baby.
Anyway, anyone who knows me knows I could go on and on about my sixth sense experiences, but I don't want to bore you so I'll sign off. I think of you often and hold you close to my heart each time.
Kim from Kansas City
Jodi,
I had a sixth sense happening too. The day before I was hospitalized with my whole ordeal, everyone kept saying it was probably the flu or food poisoning. My dad had just taken me to the ER to check on the baby and to get some fluids. I had this conversation with my dad where I told him I didn't know how people who dealt with major illnesses had the strength to do it. I didn't think I would be able to. I told him I felt like if I had something like that happen to me I would give up. He told me I wouldn't. That I would find it within me to fight and that my baby (we didn't know it was a girl yet) would be my reason. I said to him, "Dad, I don't think this is just the flu." That conversation haunts me to this day. As does the dream I had when I was sick where they were doing surgery on me and removing both my baby and my colon before either of those things happened.
{{{hugs to you}}}
Today marks 9 months since the day my 10 wk. old grandson passed away. I completely identify with everything you are experiencing. The way you described "knowing"...I knew too. I knew it the minute I walked into my room. I knew.
And I too relieve that day, those moments over and over. Some days are better than others but some days just hurt terribly.
I also have to tell you that the songs you have on your main page...some of the EXACT songs that were picked for Jayden's funeral. I burst into tears reading your accounting of Matteo's passing and then I really lost it when I heard Godspeed playing. I had no idea you had placed those songs on your blog. I have been really lax keeping up with blogs I liked to read and today was the day for some reason I picked to (6th sense?) to catch up with the Martinos. I last read here July 3.
So yeah, coincidence? I don't think so. Today is a hard day for me. The day that he has been gone as long as it took for him to get here. Then to come here and read of the tragic loss of you little man, hear those songs. Yeah, I don't believe this was a coincidence.
My heart goes out to you and your family. I pray for much happier days ahead for you.
More {{{{Hugs}}}}
Jodi,
I don't have any specific stories, but I do believe that there are many things that science can't explain. Human consciousness is such a mystery that there are very few things I completely discount. Hundreds of years from now it will be laughable what we didn't know.
Also, I wanted to tell you that I thought of Matteo last night and the night before. Each night we were visited by a great horned owl (a very rare thing) who landed in a tall tree in our backyard and hooted back and forth with me. He was perfectly outlined by the full moon. It was an amazing experience watching and listening in he moonlight--like a gift from beyond. For some reason it made me think of you and Matteo (maybe because I was looking for his star). I wish I could bottle the peaceful joy of that minute and send it to you.
Much love to you and your family from MT.
Krista
Post a Comment