Read by Jodi during Matteo's memorial service/funeral.
****
My Dear Sweet Baby Matteo,
I usually don’t have a difficult time finding words. But, for the first time in my life, I’m really struggling.
So many things to say… and I don’t know where to begin.
My heart is broken. Completely broken. I ache for you with a pain that I have never before known and I’m not yet sure how to manage.
I am so thankful that we spent last Friday together as a family. And, I am so thankful I was able to care for you and snuggle and love you all day last Saturday. If only I would have known that it was going to be my last day with you. I wouldn’t have taken my eyes off of you for a single moment, or ever put you down to sleep by yourself. I would have held you all night long. Even if I would have known you were going to die… I would have held you so you wouldn’t have to be scared, so you would feel loved, and so you would know you weren’t alone.
The night you died… I had prayed to God. I said “Dear God, please take care of my sweet baby Matteo. He is very sick, he has a 104.3 fever and really needs your help so he can get better fast. I don’t know what is wrong with him – but he doesn’t deserve to be sick anymore.” Now, I find myself wondering if that is the moment in which God decided to make you an angel. He took you exactly one year to the day in which you were baptized. How I wish you would have woken me up in that instant so I could run to your room and make you come back to us.
When I first saw you Sunday morning. I knew instantly you were gone and you had been for a while. I knew in my heart and soul that you were now an angel among us. But, I couldn’t put you down. I didn’t want to let you go.
Mommies are supposed to make you feel better. We fix things, give hugs and kisses and help make the pain go away. As your mommy, I’m so sorry I couldn’t protect you from whatever took you away from us that horrible night. I find myself desperately trying to make sense of it all… and that is very, very difficult.
Over the past few nights, I’ve found comfort in looking at the moon and stars. There was a really bright star in the sky on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday night. It was brighter than any other star out there. I hoped and wanted to believe so desperately that it was you… telling me you were ok. You were safe. You didn’t feel sick anymore and you were happy up in Heaven and would watch over us forever.
I find myself constantly yearning and looking for signs of your presence. I hear birds chirping... and I tell Gabby that it’s you telling us “Good Morning”. I see a random bird fly by… and I tell Gabby it’s you just checking in on us. Little Matt… if only you knew how lost I feel right now… and how sad and empty I am without you here in my arms.
Everything about life seems different now. Absolutely EVERYTHING. You’ve changed me to the core of who I thought I was.
In my mind I can still see you clearly. I can smell you. I can still feel you burrowing into my shoulder. I can feel your hair between my fingers. I just can’t believe you’re gone. And, I’m so scared to not see your face clearly anymore and to lose my sense of feeling you.
What I do know is that your daddy and I could not be more proud of who you were.
You were and will remain in our memories, the absolute PERFECT child.
You are a child every parent would brag about. You were the happiest little baby I have ever known. Always smiling and full of hugs and kisses. I loved how I could snuggle up to you for hours and how you would be perfectly content. I loved watching you observe the world you lived in… never in a hurry… just taking in each moment, perfectly comfortable with quiet play time, and interacting with those who loved you. You were as content in this world as you were in my womb. Always a gentle soul… so loving… and an absolute angel from the start.
You were beautiful and handsome and I so looked forward to seeing the man you would become.
For someone with such a short life… there are so many things I already miss.
I miss
* Seeing your big happy smile and hearing your silly happy laugh.
* Your wiggles and dances.
* Your beautiful, handsome face, your golden suntanned skin, your perfect feet and hands and your fuzzy, curly, white-boy fro mohawk hair.
* Seeing you greet your brother every morning with a big smile and a hug and kiss.
* Seeing you throw your right arm up in the air, and yell “Dadaaaaaaa!” to always greet your daddy.
* Seeing Dan hold and hug you, and you nuzzling into his shoulder.
* Seeing Gabby hug and kiss you and love all over you, and you loving it.
* Seeing Rocco kiss you on the lips. Seeing you kiss Rocco. Seeing the two of you hug… and do all those crazy things only twins do.
* Hearing you say “Eyes”… and then reaching over to slowly poke your brother in the eye.
* You burying your head in my shoulder and hiding your face when someone new was within arm’s reach of us. And you pretending like they couldn’t see you just because your face was buried… and then your sudden glances to them with your silly crazy eyes face.
* Seeing you get SO excited to see me, and having you and Rocco fight over me.
* Seeing you play so contently for hours with all your blocks and toys.
* Seeing you ride the rocking horse and cruising on your toy trucks throughout the house and up and down the neighborhood sidewalks.
* Seeing and hearing multiple twin battles take place throughout the day… over toys, blankets, sippy cups and bottles.
* Seeing Rocco steal food off your tray.
* Hearing your precious voice and growing vocabulary.
Matt, I want you to know your precious little soul has touched so many people. You have impacted more people in one week than I could EVER hope to impact in my lifetime. Your daddy and I have received so many wonderful letters from people we know and people we don’t know. We have had so many conversations this week about what people have learned from you. Because of you, more mommies and daddies are spending extra time with their sweet babies... more hugs are being given… more kind words are being exchanged… priorities are changing... and a deeper sense of understanding and patience is spreading around the globe like wildfire. Such an amazing feat for a young little man. And for that, I am an incredibly proud mommy.
In losing you… you have taken away my fear of death. I now have absolutely no doubt that Heaven exists and I KNOW I will see you again someday. I don’t know when… but I do believe and know I will see you again. Knowing that you are in Heaven makes it seem oddly welcoming. I SO look forward to the day I will see your beautiful face again and am able to hold you in my arms. But this time… I will NEVER let you go.
Until then sweet angel, Matt, please watch over your sister, brother and baby Surprise. Keep them safe and please help to guide them in troubling times. Please watch over your daddy and I, and help us find strength in each other while we struggle in this new life without you. Please be a guardian to your cousins, aunts and uncles, grandmas and grandpas, and all of our dear and beloved friends.
Matteo – I do KNOW you are an angel. I know you are with us. And, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for letting me be your mommy… for sharing your life with us… and for being so perfectly, PERFECTLY you. You will continue to live on in my heart and soul. Forever. And, not a minute of every day will pass without me thinking of you.
I love you sweet precious baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
There is a strength that comes from deep within your soul to be able to deliver such a perfect letter to your son. I am so sorry for your loss and this journey that no mother should ever have to walk. Be strong knowing that he is with God and he knows how much you love him.
I am once again brought to tears by your words. I admire your strength and am so sorry you are having to take this journey. ((((hugs))))
That is absolutely beautiful, and i'm moved to have read your words, and amazed by your eloquence and strength.
i'm so sorry, there are no words.
God Bless You and Yours.
This is a beautiful letter and brings tears to my eyes. I only recently found your blog since I am a mom of twin girls and a 31/2 year old boy. I love reading your blog and My heart broke when I heard that the lord took little Mateo home.
May the Lord comfort and strengthen you during this time our prayers will continue to be with you. Wendi
Jodi - your loving words have brought me to tears. Thank you for sharing your letter.
Such a beautiful letter you wrote. Thank you for sharing it. My heart hurts for you and many prayers are being sent your way.
Jodi,
I am Joy Larkin's dad and found you from her blog (http://larkinfamily-joy.blogspot.com/)
I am so sorry for your loss and am very deeply impacted by your writing. When I received the news I wept for you and your family. Although it may get more difficult as the days go by, I want to encourage you to keep writing. You have an extraordinary gift, Jodi; you are an extraordinary gift. Most of us are very selfish with our worst times of profound pain. By doing so we reinforce the lie that we are alone and no one else has or ever will experience that kind of pain. But you have been so selfless and honest. Your writing allows those of us who have not experienced such a deep loss to share in the pain. My sincere hope is that this will somehow alleviate some of yours. It also allows those who have experienced a similar loss to know that they’re not alone. I believe that if they could have, they would have written many of the very same things you’ve shared.
You and I live on a lethal planet and sometimes senseless ricochets take the life of someone so full of life without any explanation. The only person I can point you toward for comfort that has lost a son is God the Father. He has experienced the same separation and loss as you. He knows exactly what it feels like because His son died, too. Because of that fact, you will see beautiful Matteo again.
Please keep writing Jodi. By doing so you are helping countless others even in your weakest moment.
Mike
That is a loving, tender letter. Thank you so much for sharing it with those of us who couldn't be there. Abby
Dear Jodi, Dan and family,
I think of you all each and every day. You were especially in my thoughts all day yesterday when Matteo's memorial service was held. Thank you for sharing your most difficult life experience with us. You truly have given us all a new appreciation of our children and of life, and of death as well. I don't know you but by your words, it is absolutely clear that you are an incredible woman, Jodi. Please know that you and your family are always in our prayers. Thank you and thank Matteo for teaching us how precious life, children and mommies & daddies are.
Hi Jodi -
I am Ryan Moonen's wife... He let me know about your situation when he found out via FB last week.
I know we haven't met but I want to let you that our hearts ache for you and your family. We cannot even begin to imagine what you have been through. Our thoughts and prayers have been with you and will continue to be in the future.
Though you may not realize it, your amazing strength is an inspiration to many!
I found your blog via another blog and wanted to tell you that I've been praying for you all. I am deeply sorry for your loss and will continue to pray for you as God brings you to mind.
Peace,
Julie
Jodi, I believe that we only met once a long time ago. My husband told me about your family's tragic loss. As we read your blog, I am amazed by your strength in writing. I am the mother of four boys, ages 9 months to 8 years. Since I have been reading your blog, I look at my children and try to remain positive even at the most trying times. I think of you and your family often.
Post a Comment