I took Rocco in for an appointment on Friday with a pediatric cardiologist. I had to do it. Not yet knowing why Matteo died brings us so much worry. I needed to have Rocco's heart tested and for someone to give me the slightest confirmation that the same thing is not going to happen to Rocco.
The appointment was difficult, but I absolutely loved the physician.
I had to tell her why I was there. That my other baby just died... Rocco's twin. That we didn't know why he died... but he died in his sleep. She was so kind. She listened to me. I cried and tried to explain every detail of their health history over the past 18 months while fighting tears. I brought documentation of medications they had been on, dates, etc. She clearly felt bad. She asked a lot of questions. I asked her what heart-related problems could have allowed Matteo to die on us in his sleep. She explained a few possible causes.
She spent at least a half hour talking with us prior to the tests and another 20 after all the tests. She spent at least 45 minutes taking photos of Rocco's heart via ultrasound. She also ran another test where he was hooked up to numerous monitors via stickies all over his chest, arms and legs. All of the tests were beyond challenging as we were doing anything possible to get Rocco to sit still and not rip all the stickies off his body. Matteo would have sat there like a good little guy. He wouldn't have liked the stickers and he probably would have fought those a little. But, he would have sat there and allowed me to soothe him.
The test results came back great. Rocco's heart function is normal and good. The doctor said that depending on whether or not Matteo's cause of death ends up being a genetic abnormality of the heart, then we would also need to run a few more blood tests on Rocco.
After completeing this appointment, I sent a long email to two physicians who I've worked with on numerous occasions. Two physicians who are highly respected in the world of pediatric cardiology. I needed their opinions on why Matteo would have died, if in-fact he did die due to a heart related issue.
I wasn't sure I'd hear back from them. They are BEYOND busy and have crazy, crazy schedules. But, they both emailed me back within three hours of my email. Part of me was shocked at how quickly they both responded. And, part of me knew they would... because I always sensed their compassion. Once again, I found myself feeling so grateful for being a part of this wonderful and well-respected institution.
Below is what they had to say (personal info x'd out).
Jodi:
I am so sorry for your loss. I know that you must feel guilty for not checking him more often, but from the sounds of this, you did all the right things and should not feel in any way responsible.
There are a few cardiac diseases that could possibly have caused sudden death in this situation. One is an abnormal heart rhythm, some of which can be due to a genetic mutation. These mutations can be tested for if a sample of tissue can be saved by the coroner's office for DNA analysis. Second, there is the possibility that your son developed an infection of the heart known as myocarditis. This could have been responsible for the fevers, but it could also have occurred due to the same virus that causes the Hand-Foot-Mouth disease back in May. Sometimes these viral infections of the heart can be subclinical for months before a child develops any symptoms. The microscopic sections from the autopsy study would definitately show this. Lastly, there is a rare congenital malformation called anamolous left coronary artery and this should be seen on the general part of the autopsy. You can ask the coroner whether he/she has determined the origins of the coronary arteries, which is pretty routine.
Once you have the final results of the autopsy, if you wish I would be willing to review them with you and help to determine whether there is anything else worth doing, and whether other tests are required for the other boy.
XXX
xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx, M.D., Chief, Division of Pediatric Cardiology
Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford
Professor of Pediatrics
Stanford University
Dear Jodi,
I am very sorry for what has happened and if there is anything I can do, please don't hesitate to call. Dr. xxxxxxxxx has already mentioned the more common causes of sudden death related to the heart and is correct about what the studies and coroner can do to evaluate for the coronary abnormality. I know Dr. xxx (who examined Rocco on Friday) and believe that she is a good pediatric cardiologist. If you have questions regarding her echocardiographic evaluation, however, I would be happy to help you, including re-reviewing her study.
We as parents and spouses always feel a sense of "what could I have done differently" but I truly believe that you and your husband did nothing wrong. Uncommon things happen commonly and what you have described sounds very uncommon. I know saying these things don't take the pain or guilt away but it is true. Please let me know if I can be of any help now or in the future. If you need to talk to someone, know that I am always available and you can page me at anytime (xxx-xxx-xxxx).
Sincerely,
xxxxx
xxxxxxxx xxxx, M.D.
Director, Pediatric Heart Transplant Program
Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Stanford University
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Wow..how comforting that they both took the time to write you back. They both seem very reassuring that you will find the answer.
Praying for you in Texas
This is really amazing that these doctors took the time to write.
Praying you find answers soon!
I am so so unbelievably sorry for your loss. Thank you for the kind note on my blog. I lost my Jack and it was awful, and i will never fully get over it. To think of losing one of my girls, at this age... I just can't imagine your pain, truly. My heart breaks for you. Your sweet boy, I will pray for him and your whole family.
I'm so happy that you have caring doctors to talk/email with you regarding this. Also, it sounds like things went fairly well with your appointment.
I think of you daily, your whole family and especially Matteo. My Violet (the smaller of my twins) had a teething-related fever at 4 AM and I just held her until daybreak, crying and wishing Matteo could be back for you. I am just so sorry.
Prayers,
Heather
Hello,
I don't know you but somehow I saw the name of your blog this morning and I was very curious, you will see why...
and then I couldn't believe what I was reading and couldn't help but cry for you. I am so sorry you had to go through this terrible awful experience...
Your family is beautiful. Your family is really beautiful.
We are The Martino Family too. My husband's family is Italian, Catholic and my husband's father was a twin. They are from California but we live in Florida now.
Both Martino twins already died, many years ago, but everyone that met them talks about their amazing, almost supernatural connection. When one of the twins died, back in the 70's in Europe the other twin told their father in Los Angeles: "my brother died this morning".
Every one kept asking how did he know and he said he felt empty and he just KNEW.
A couple of days later the news came to the family.
In August 2007 my husband and I created a blog for our newly formed family and tried to name it "Martino Madness" (we REALLY did), but couldn't, so we settled for our own names: ashleyandmafer.blogspot.com.
TODAY I was blown away to read that you ARE "Martino Madness" and that you have a beautiful marriage, and at the same time you are SO SAD and suffering SO MUCH. Somehow I felt a need to write and say we are praying for you, stay strong.
Your angel will ALWAYS take care of you and his siblings, don't have a doubt about that.
With much Love,
Maria Martino
I hope you find comfort in both the tests to show that Rocco is ok, and the letters from the doctors. Love and light to you once again.
Jodi and Dan,
Again I sit here and read your thoughts as you continue on this journey through life without Matteo. Being Patty's aunt, I feel the love that your family has for one another and I hope that it somehow pulls you through these roughest of times. I am glad the doctors have been so compassionate, that your friends are there for you, that family surrounds you with warmth and love, and that you take each day one day at a time. I will continue to check on you and to send my prayers your way. And I continue to tell my boys (24 AND 26) HOW LUCH I LOVE THEM - perhaps more than they care to hear! Take care .
I read your blog and caught up and cried tears with you. Matteo isn't far from my mind ever these days. It can happen to any of us. We ALL need appreciate the good and bad more. Never let the moments pass noticed. Thank you for being so real and waking me up a little.
I'll keep reading and praying for you.
Hey Jodi,
I am new to your blog and cannot express how sorry I am for your loss. Four years ago I lost my 19 year old daughter. She was driving home with some friends and decided to switch seats with the kid next to her and as she took her seatbelt off, the driver (who was supposed to be the designated driver but snuck alcohol) lost control of the vehicle. Katie flew out through the windshield and the car landed on top of her. She was awake holding onto a friends hand until the helicopter arrived and then she lost consciousness. I still remember the moment I looked out my window and saw a police officer walk up out driveway. Even though I hadn't heard of the accident, I knew something was bad and I knew it was Katie (I have 4 other kids too). Once we got to the hospital, they started surgery on her brain. The doctors say it should have been an easy fix, but she was bleeding way too much, thats why she died. I had a gut feeling that this wasn't normal and I had to search for over a year and talk to every doctor who would listen. After walking into the Mayo Clinic and not leaving until a doctor would look at Katie's case, I found out she had a rare blood condition that prevented the clotting which caused her brain to bleed out. Three of my other kids have this same condition and one of my grandkids do too. I understand how much you're hurting and I know even opening your eyes and getting out of bed in the morning sucks, but you seem to have that gut feeling I did, so don't give up. I know that you can do this, and if you ever need to talk, I am always here. Seriously.
You are an amazing person.
In our family we have had many years of experience with Stanford Cardiology doctors. They have been extraordinary in their care and a few in particular have been even more than that, very personal with us. It is so comforting to know there is someone to go to for answers.
Take care, Karyn
Post a Comment