The past week started with two doctor visits. Dan brought Rocco in on Monday (for some little man issues) and I brought Gabby in on Tuesday. Gabby had a ruptured ear... so crazy... as she didn't even complain about her ear hurting until Monday night. When I left the doctor on Tuesday... Dr. O asked when I'd be bringing in the third, lil Matteo. This was so often the pattern of the past 9 months. Bring one in... then by the end of the week, we'd have brought them all in.The week ended tragically. A way that I still can not even believe. But I know it's real because the pain and sorrow and hurt I feel is all I can feel or even think about.
Our dear sweet angel baby, Matteo Tate, left us to become a true angel.
Matteo came down with a fever of 103.7 on Friday afternoon. We paged the doctor and his advice was give him a bath and Tylenol, which I had already done. I remember Matteo shivering and not happy when I was giving him the bath. He woke up several times throughout the night and Dan got up with him each time. Each time he drank a few ounces of milk and went back to bed. Matteo's waking temperature on Saturday at 6am was 101.7. We got it down to 99.9 around 1pm and I thought he was beginning to feel a bit better as he started playing with Rocco and Gabby instead of clinging to me and just wanting to be held. His fever crept up again in the afternoon and was 102.4 around 2pm and 102.7 around 5pm. By 8pm, it had reached 104.3. But the odd thing was that he was outside with Rocco and Gabby... wiggling around, hitting the ball with the bat, and poking at ants. He was tired though. So I decided it was time to put him down for bed.

Oh God... if only I would have known.
I rocked him while he drank his bottle. He held onto his blankie and he held onto me. He nestled into my chest and breast and looked up at me a few times to make sure I was there holding him. I know he was so uncomfortable and warm. I layed him down on his back, on his blanket and he rolled over immediately, like he always did. He started to stir and whine and cry a little as I was shutting his door. I walked back in... thinking I would need to rock him some more. But, he settled in. So I shut the door. The last time I would ever look at my sweet baby Matteo alive.
The baby monitor was on all night. I hear every single peep and it was silent all night. Both boys slept through the night, or so we thought.
Rocco started crying at 5:09am. Dan went in and put him back down on his back, and he was falling back asleep. Dan went over to check on Matteo. He touched him... and he knew.
I heard Dan yell for me and he had Matteo in his arms. Immediately, when I heard Dan yell... I knew. I don't know how I knew. But I knew he was dead. And, I was immediately in shock and crying and screaming at the top of my lungs.
I held my dead baby. I. Held. My. Dead. Baby. Nobody in the world should ever have to hold their dead child. Or see that. Or have memories of the vision or smells of their dead baby. Nobody. Ever.
I held and hugged him until the police made me leave so they could do what they needed to do. That was followed by the coroner. The hell started at 5:09am and has only continued. I held him and cried on him and cut some of his hair before they took him from our home which now seemed so cold and empty.
We talked with the coroner for a very long time. They are leaning towards two causes of death at this point. One of which is Meningococcal. The other of which may have been an enlarged heart, which would have been a very rare side effect of the Hand, Foot and Mouth disease which all the kids had a little over a month ago. We are hoping to know more at some point today.
Our hearts are beyond heavy. Our heads hurt. Our hearts hurt. I have never cried or hurt so much in my entire life.
Grief has swept into my happy home and heart and has taken over.
Dan and I could not sleep last night. I kept thinking Gabby had a fever or she had stopped breathing. Dan could not bear to leave Rocco without checking on him every hour. We both found ourselves sneaking into his room and pinching him or making sure he was breathing. I found a blanket and pillow on the floor this morning in the twins bedroom between the cribs. Dan had tried to sleep in there last night.
I was awake all night. All. Night. I could not stop playing over and over in my head Dan yelling my name, me knowing... not sure how I knew, but I did. And, the memories of holding my sweet, sweet dead baby boy. My mind kept repeating over and over Meningococcal. Me hearing myself say it. Me hearing the coroner say. Me hearing the pediatrician say it. That word alone haunted me throughout the night.
And all I could do was cry. I cried to myself. Then, I would cry louder and would get up and go to our bathroom and weep. I could only simply ache for my sweet baby Matteo. He would have been 18 months old on the 10th. Today is Dan & my 7th wedding anniversary. And, today is the second worst day of my entire life. And, tomorrow will be the third. And, Tuesday will be the fourth.
The worst days of my life.
Rocco did Matteo's wiggle today several times. He's looking for his brother. I know he already misses his best friend, his twin. Gabby knows her brother is dead. But, she then asks why she can't play with him and tells me she misses him a lot and then she reminds me he will come back to us.
I know he's an angel. But, I miss my baby. I want him back. Here with me.
I guess if anything, I am thankful I got to hold him, snuggle him, and play with his hair and hold his chubby feet all day on Saturday. I'm so thankful I was there with him... all day. And that I saw him happy on Saturday. I saw him play with Rocco and Gabby one last time and I will hold that memory in my heart forever. Even though it now hurts so bad every time I think of the fact I will never see that again.
Not many people know... but I am about 13 weeks pregnant with a baby Surprise. We weren't planning it. We never thought it would happen to us. But, somehow it did and our baby Surprise is due to arrive 3 days after Rocco and Matteo would have turned 2 years old. I'm trying to take deep breaths and remind myself that amidst this horrible, awful, hell we're living right now... I need to stay strong and nourish baby Surprise. It's difficult.
Matteo Tate Martino
January 10, 2008 - July 5, 2009
17 months, 25 days old
Rest in Peace, Sweet Angel
Here are a few very recent photos of our little angel:










And, some from Friday at Gilroy Gardens:





I caught this shot on Saturday... Matt was snuggling his sleepy daddy on the sofa while watching "Go Diego Go!" This photo was probably taken within 12 hours of his death:

And then earlier in the day on Saturday, I guess the kids were hungry for some Fruit Loops... I think Rocco did the deed of spilling them all over the floor. All 3 enjoyed dining off the floor... and then Rocco made the effort to clean it up.



80 comments:
Jodi - I check in on your family often (ever since you left a sweet comment on my blog some time ago) and wanted to let you know that I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. My heart aches beyond words for you and although we have never met I wish there was something I could do to provide you some comfort during this time. Please know that I will be thinking and praying for you and your family. Big hugs to all of you.
I'm so, so sorry for the loss of your sweet Matteo. Words cannot say. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Jodi - I left you a msg on FB but I wanted to comment as well. I am so sorry, I can't imagine. Brian and I are so distraught and in tears. I so wish I could somehow do anything to take the pain away. You and Dan are in my heart and thoughts today.
Dan and Jodi,
Oh my God.....We received a call from Kevin yesterday about Matteo. We just read the words that you wrote about Matteo and looked through teary eyes at your pictures.....we are speechless....devastated .....absolutely heatbroken for everyone in your family. I haven't seen you for years but was up all night thinking about you both. Dan and I cannot begin to express the sadness we feel for your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Dan and Nikki George
Jodi-
I am Laura Butler's sister. She shared your loss with me and I just want you to know you are in our daily thoughts and prayers at this sad sad time. Words cannot even come close to how I feel for your family. God bless you all!
Love Heather
Jodi-
I am Laura Butler's sister and she has shared your blog with me. I am so so sorry for your loss. Your family are in our family's thoughts and prayers! Words cannot even come close to how sad I am for you all. Love, Heather
Jodi - I can't even begin to understand what you are going through. My heart hurts for you and your whole family. Know that we will be thinking of you and praying for you. I so wish there was something I could do to help. But I will keep you and your little Surprise in my thoughts
I am a visitor to your blog and I am so so sorry for your loss. How heart breaking for you. Your family will be in my prayers.
Jodi
I know you don't know me but I wanted to express my sympathies to you and your family. There are no words that I can say that make sense...because this should NEVER be! No parent should have to go through something like this.
I am just so very sorry. I had meningitis when I was 18 months old- menegicoccal...I am soooo sorry for your tragic loss!
My prayers and thoughts are with you
I am so very sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what you are going through. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
I am so very sorry, there are no words just tears.
Martinos:
I am so terribly sorry for your loss. It must seem bigger than the sky itself.
But allowing yourself to put such eloquent and honest words to the events that took place, the thoughts you experienced, and the unimaginable feelings that continue to dominate each day, is probably the most healthy thing you could do. That will begin the healing faster, the healing that will only take place with time, and moreover with continued love between one another in your great family, as you honor Matteo for all the rest of your days.
My heart aches for you and I wish you all of the strength and love in the world.
With deepest sympathy,
Dave Miller
Martino Family - you don't know me - I heard of your loss through another blog that I frequent and had to come express my condolences on the loss of your beautiful son. What a gorgeous angel he is and I pray that the memories you have of him bring you some comfort in the days and months to come. I will be praying for you and your family.
Hugs and prayers,
Kristen
Dan,
Very sorry about Matteo.
Don't think I can be eloquent on this. very sorry about your loss.
Pierluigi Oliverio
Hi dear parents,
You do not know me at all but I read about you at Cindy's. I have no words that will help, but I can assure you that I will keep you in my prayers. I can not imagine what you are going through - I too am a mom of twin boys (21 months) and an older girl. Love from South Africa.
My heart aches for you and your family. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers
I am a new visitor to your blog. I am so deeply sorry for your loss -- I cannot imagine your pain. I will keep you & your family in my thoughts and prayers.
I am in tears hearing of your loss....I am praying for you and your family.
I am so sorry for your lose..have faith in god that you will see in some day. I'll be praying for you and your family, and your new baby that is on the way...
I was directed to your blog by a friend - I am so incredibly sorry for the loss of your beautiful little boy. I will hold you and your sweet family in my heart, and always think of Matteo. Blessings and prayers,
Katie
Jodi -
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I couldn't imagine going through what you went through. I feel so terrible. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
Jodi,
My heart is so heavy for you and your family. Stupid e-mail just doesn't let me say or do what I would want to do for you. I want to put my arms around you and let you sob. I want to be there with you so you are not alone in the grief. I want to hear you talk about the wonderful, sweet times you spent with Matteo. Please know that I'm here any time. My prayers are with you.
Abby
Dear Jodi and family--
There are not words to express how sad I feel for you. May it bring you some comfort to know that there are so many people thinking of you and sending you strength and peace.
Kim (Kelzer) Breeden
Jodi,
I just can't believe what I am reading about your sweet boy. I am so sorry. I have followed you in my google reader since I noticed some readers coming over from your blog a few months ago. I am beyond heartbroken to read these words. I am so sorry, I just can't imagine. Matteo, you and your husband, Gabby and Rocco are all in my prayers. If there is anything I could possibly do, please let me know. 3underthree@gmail.com
Heather
I was told of your story by a friend and I just wanted to let you know how much my heart aches for you. (((hugs)))
Hi Dan and Jodi, I'm so so so so sorry. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. I held on to my miscarriage for nine months and cried my heart out over the miscarriage over Solstice. I can only imagine what it feels like to have given birth and cared for the child. Hugs Hugs Hugs, Britt
Dan and Jodi-
Words can not describe how much my husband and I ache for your loss. I can not imagine the pain you both are going through. Know that we are out there praying for you and your family. I know there is nothing to say to comfort you during the loss of beautiful Matteo. May god wrap you in his love during this time!
Carrie Foster Moutzouridis
You and your family are in our prayers. I know it must be devastating to loose a child, I cannot immagine the pain that you are giong thru these past days.
Hugs,
Verna @ Coleman2
coming over from 3under3.
Arrived here from another blog to tell you how sorry I am to hear of your news. I am sure many of us are shedding tears along with you, and many, many more prayers are being said on your behalf. Thinking of you and your family.
Another blog that I read posted that you had lost one of your sweet boys.
I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for you.
Your family will be in my thoughts.
I am so, so sorry for your loss. Heartbroken and shocked at how this happened overnight. I simply can't imagine the pain you are in at losing your sweet boy. I am praying for your family.
I am sorry for your loss. I am for loss of words. My heart aches for you and I am sitting here crying for your family.
I found your blog today and I cannot begin to express my sadness for you. Our family also had twins very soon after our first was born and so your family will always have a special place in my heart.
I know that there are no words, but I can pray for you. I pray that you will find comfort in your precious memories and strength in God's love.
I just visited your blog for the first time. I found it through the "Three Under Three" blog. I know I am a complete stranger but I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am for your loss. I can't imagine what you are going through - but it's the one thing no parent should ever have to face. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
I just found your blog, but wanted you to know that I am praying for your sweet family. My heart breaks for your unthinkable loss.
I don't know you but I read your blog and I just can't express the hurt I feel for you and your family. I'm so sorry for your loss of your sweet baby Matteo. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Julie Moorehead
I found through another blog and I am just heart sick at this post! My heart is breaking for you. ((HUGS)) and prayers!
I just found your blog through another that I follow and I am so so sorry for your loss. I am praying for peace for you and your family. Matteo was absolutely beautiful.
Just want to let you know that i am praying for you and your family.
I can't express how sorry I am.
Hi Jodi. I found your blog through Heather at 3 under 3. My heart is breaking for you right now. I am at a loss for words, as nothing I could say would bring your baby boy back. I cannot even begin to imagine how you and your family are feeling. I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
I am so sorry for the loss of your precious baby boy. You are right, no parent should ever know the pain of losing a child. I will pray for God to protect Matteo and shield him under His wings and also for Him to give strength to you and your family during this devastating time. I am so sorry...
I am here from 3 Under 3. I read this early this morning. I have thought about you and your family countless times today. I have chills now. My knees buckle when I think of your family. I pray for you each time I think of you. When I worried at my children's bedside I always prayed that if nothing else that God would shine his brilliant light on them and give them warmth and comfort. That is what I pray for you. That you will feel his arms around you.
I came here through Road to Bliss. I am so very sorry for your loss. All of your children are so beautiful, I will pray for you, your family and Matteo. God bless.
Dan, Jodi,
Words can not express how sorry I am for your loss. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.
Dan and Nora Kiewlich
Oh sweetie, I am so so sorry.
Words cannot describe how sorry I am for your loss. I have had the heaviest of hearts since learning of the news, and when I read your blog I could not hold back my tears. Being a parent, I cannot imagine the pain your family is enduring. Just please know that your little angel is in a happy place now.
I came here today through another blog and cannot even begin to express the sorrow I feel in reading your story. I am so truly sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
You dont know me but your story breaks my heart. My thoughts and prayers are with your family and little Matteo.
I found your blog through a friend of mine and I just wanted to let you know that your family is in my prayers. I am so incredibly sorry for the loss of little Matteo. I know that words can't really bring the comfort that you desperately need right now, but I am thinking about and praying for you.
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet angel. May you find just a small amount of peace so you can rest. God bless your whole family.
Jodi and Dan- I am PAtty's aunt and although we have never spent time togetehr, through the La Valles blogs and Facebook with Peggy, I feel I know you. I am truly sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine what you must be going through. To even type the story of the last few days must have been hard for you (but perhaps a way to get your feelings out) I want you to know that you are ALL in my prayers and will continue to be as you go through the proces of grieving for your angel who gave his famiyl and friens such joy.
Jodi and Dan...I read about you on Cindy & Brian's blog, I just had to come over here and tell you how very, very sorry I am to hear about your precious baby boy. I know there are no words that can be said to take the pain away or dry your tears. Dec. 3, 2008 my grandson, Jayden age 10 wks., passed away. Your words echoed mine...no one should ever have to hold their dead baby. Those words brought back so many memories.
I wish I could do something to help...but I know that the only way to deal with this is to do whatever you feel like doing, whenever you feel like doing it. Time is the healer. Nothing but time and the length of time is not set...it's however long it takes.
I send you big hugs and many prayers. If you ever want to talk to someone who has been there (even though I'm the grandmother I do understand where you're at) please don't hesitate to email me. vb1004@gmail.com
God Bless you and your family during this time of intense grief.
my heart breaks reading your heartfelt words. We will be praying for you and your family.
i am friends with tammie, and saw her post about your loss, and i just wanted to come over and say how sorry i am for your loss....i can not imagine what you are going through, and i hope that you and your family are able to find strength in each other. i am so deeply sorry for your loss.
Hi Jodi:
I met Dan when he was living in Europe and only met up with him a few times.. I saw this on Facebook and I had to write to say how awful this is and how bad I feel.. I'm so very sorry for your loss I can't put into words.. I'm a new father myself - with an 11 month baby girl and sometimes I have nightmares about things happening like this.. SO very very sorry...
Sincerely
Gary Crock
So terribly, terribly sorry. I am praying for all of you, especially that you will be surrounded by people who love you.
please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. i am incredibly sorry for your loss ... my heart aches for you. i don't even know what to say except that please know this random CA blogger is crying with you and lifting you up in prayer CONSTANTLY.
I followed the link to your blog from Joy (Larkin)... my heart is so heavy for you. I just read your stories and I can barely read the screen through my tears. Thank you SO SO much for sharing... I hope it was a little helpful to have a forum to share your mind in such a way. I will absolutely be praying for you and your family for your loss. I don't follow your blog enough to know all of the wonderful stories about Matteo, but I can tell you that I see a BEAUTIFUL child in the photos that you recently posted.
I some how ran across your blog a few days ago and I cant tell you how sorry I am for your loss. Ever since I read your blog, your family has been in my thoughts.
I will continue to think about your family.
Again, I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful little boy, Matteo.
sarah
I heard about your terrible & heartbreaking loss over on The Rauths blog and just had to come by to offer my heartfelt sympathy. Your post made me cry and I wish I could somehow wrap my arms around you and give you a great big hug. May your memories of sweet Matteo provide the strength you need to get through this devastating time. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!
Hi, my name is Veronica - you don't know me, but I am a good friend of Dave Miller, your family friend. This story has beyond touched me and I know that no words or actions could possibly comfort you right now, however, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I have a 10 month old and I just keep going in and hugging and kissing him all over since I have heard your story. Little Matteo is a true angel, as you said, and has made a huge impact on people far beyond your reach or scope of knowing. Please try and heal yourselves in whatever way possible. Much Love to you,
Veronica Coates
Chico, California
Even though we don't know each other, I feel so compelled to tell you how my heart aches beyond what I can express for you and your sweet family. I am new to your blog having randomly found you from something else.
Your sweet son is looking down on your from heaven and will always be with you. Your sweet son Matteo was a true gift from God. You are so strong and I will continue to pray for yourself, husband, and precious children and you will remain in my thoughts.
My parents (Kate and Dave Dooley) are friends with your parents and I just had to write to let you know that you are in thoughts and prayers of people you don't even know! God only knows why things like this happen but may the wonderful memories help give you the strength to get through this time. It is obvious you have so much love and support and your angel will always be with you.
Jodi
My heart is so broken for you. This is too terrible for words. I'm sorry.
I am so, so sorry about Matteo. I stumbled upon your blog and began reading about your sweet family. Many tears are being shed- I will be praying for you.
Martino Family -
You don't know me, I just came across your blog, and wanted to offer my deepest sympathies for the loss of your sweet baby Matteo. I pray God will give you strength and answers during this painful time.
Dan and Jodi,
We want to express our deepest sympathies and love to you and your family.
Love,
Dave and Steph Rudd
Dear Dan and Jodi,
We are so incredibly sorry for your loss. We are thinking of you always and you are in our prayers.
Love,
Dave and Steph Rudd
Dan and Jodi,
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy, Matteo. Your blog was beautiful and heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing your story with everyone. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Cristi Toro (Matt Constantino's sister)
Jodi,
I am so sorry for you and your family. It breaks my heart even to think of your story. It's been years since I have seen you,but my heart goes out to you just the same.
Jodi,
I used to work with Dan at Dorado...
You are so amazingly brave to share your story and the tragedy of what you are experiencing. There are no words that come to try to comfort the chasm of loss you are experiencing. My heart is desperately sad for you both and you are so right - you have a true angel...and while no one will ever know why Matteo was called home...he is safe and loved.
I just wanted you to know that you and Dan and your family are in our prayers. The sun rises every day...it may be the only constant you can rely on for some time...that and the fact that your beautiful children that are with you - and in you - need you...and that means you will wake up every day and put one foot in front of the other...and one day, it may come a bit easier. I pray that God helps that day come sooner and brings unforced joy back to your heart.
Jodi,
I used to work with Dan at Dorado...
You are so amazingly brave to share your story and the tragedy of what you are experiencing. There are no words that come to try to comfort the chasm of loss you are experiencing. My heart is desperately sad for you both and you are so right - you have a true angel...and while no one will ever know why Matteo was called home...he is safe and loved.
I just wanted you to know that you and Dan and your family are in our prayers. In a time where nothing seems to be as it should...you will find that the sun will continue to rise every morning...it may be the only constant you can rely on for some time...that and the fact that your beautiful children that are with you - and in you - need you...and that means you will wake up every day and put one foot in front of the other...and one day, it may come a bit easier. I pray that God helps that day come sooner and brings unforced joy back to your heart. Much love to you all.
Oh Jodi, I am so sorry. My daughter passed away very suddenly on April 7th just four days short of her 17 month birthday. It is a terrible pain I wouldn't wish on anyone. I am here if you need to vent, scream, cry to someone who is still in the thick of it. I wish I could bring our babies back.
Jodi,
I never really knew you well, but I'm Angie McCune's little sister... I found your blog through the beauty of facebook & just wanted to say how incredibly sorry I am for your loss. I can't even imagine what it feels like to lose a child. I cried just reading your posts - my heart is so heavy for you & your family. You'll be in my prayers...
Kristen McCune
Dan~
It has been quite some time since the U of A. Denise brought your unbelievably tragic and sad news to my attention. I just wanted to reach out and express deep condolences to you and your family. Our thoughts are with you & Matteo.
Cameron Lumsden
Dear Jodi and Dan,
The Rudd's informed us of your loss. Your family pictures are beautiful and Matteo was such a special baby! Words can not describe the tears I shed reading your blog and learning the tragic news. I am absolutely heartbroken for you and hope that baby Surprise can help heal your hearts. You are in my thoughts daily! Hugs and lots of strength to you both!
Denise (Lyon) Henry
I met you while Dave and I were out in San Jose several years ago. I visit your blog nearly every day and cry for you each time. Your family continues to be in our thoughts and prayers.
Lauren Miller
Hi!
Your blog come across on my news feed and reading your blog is all too familiar for me. I am so so sorry you had to endure this pain no one is supposed to. I understand your pain completely. I am glad i found you :)
Post a Comment